Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OceanA
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Count number of users currently using app simultaneously

Hi, 

I would like to count the number of users currently using my application. I've created a sort of game, and I need players to interact by pressing buttons which the values are temporarily stored in a collection - which is meant to be visible to all.

I know the User().FullName give the current single user's name, but how do I get the names of all/multiple current users? 

How do I make sure any updates to the collection are immediately accessible to all users currently using the app?

How do I make sure that if a user quits, they can come back to the same sessions and pick up where they left off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

These are all very advanced features that are not built-in features of PowerApps. I tried to create a traffic counter for maintaining a certain capacity in our retail store that communicated across multiple devices (similar to your request) and it pushed the limits of PowerApps.

To answer your question, you can create an Excel spreadsheet that holds the current users and their collection data. You can use the JSON() function to serialize the collection and store it in Excel.

You'll need to set a timer, set the duration to 1 second (or whatever refresh rate you'd like), then set it to repeat and autostart.

Joining the same session may be as easy as saving a sessionID in the Excel document and setting the sessionID to that value when the user opens the app.

This is a very brief description of how to do this. If you'd like to proceed, I can answer any questions you have in more detail!

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

These are all very advanced features that are not built-in features of PowerApps. I tried to create a traffic counter for maintaining a certain capacity in our retail store that communicated across multiple devices (similar to your request) and it pushed the limits of PowerApps.

To answer your question, you can create an Excel spreadsheet that holds the current users and their collection data. You can use the JSON() function to serialize the collection and store it in Excel.

You'll need to set a timer, set the duration to 1 second (or whatever refresh rate you'd like), then set it to repeat and autostart.

Joining the same session may be as easy as saving a sessionID in the Excel document and setting the sessionID to that value when the user opens the app.

This is a very brief description of how to do this. If you'd like to proceed, I can answer any questions you have in more detail!

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,362)