Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OceanA
Advocate III
Advocate III

Count number of users currently using app simultaneously

Hi, 

I would like to count the number of users currently using my application. I've created a sort of game, and I need players to interact by pressing buttons which the values are temporarily stored in a collection - which is meant to be visible to all.

I know the User().FullName give the current single user's name, but how do I get the names of all/multiple current users? 

How do I make sure any updates to the collection are immediately accessible to all users currently using the app?

How do I make sure that if a user quits, they can come back to the same sessions and pick up where they left off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EricLott
Super User
Super User

These are all very advanced features that are not built-in features of PowerApps. I tried to create a traffic counter for maintaining a certain capacity in our retail store that communicated across multiple devices (similar to your request) and it pushed the limits of PowerApps.

To answer your question, you can create an Excel spreadsheet that holds the current users and their collection data. You can use the JSON() function to serialize the collection and store it in Excel.

You'll need to set a timer, set the duration to 1 second (or whatever refresh rate you'd like), then set it to repeat and autostart.

Joining the same session may be as easy as saving a sessionID in the Excel document and setting the sessionID to that value when the user opens the app.

This is a very brief description of how to do this. If you'd like to proceed, I can answer any questions you have in more detail!

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
EricLott
Super User
Super User

These are all very advanced features that are not built-in features of PowerApps. I tried to create a traffic counter for maintaining a certain capacity in our retail store that communicated across multiple devices (similar to your request) and it pushed the limits of PowerApps.

To answer your question, you can create an Excel spreadsheet that holds the current users and their collection data. You can use the JSON() function to serialize the collection and store it in Excel.

You'll need to set a timer, set the duration to 1 second (or whatever refresh rate you'd like), then set it to repeat and autostart.

Joining the same session may be as easy as saving a sessionID in the Excel document and setting the sessionID to that value when the user opens the app.

This is a very brief description of how to do this. If you'd like to proceed, I can answer any questions you have in more detail!

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (940)