cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Crawling and Learning ...But.........

I am slowly getting my head around this creating apps thing and its pretty cool.

However I am stumped on how to look up what help I need on this specific issue

Job Booking ScreenJob Booking Screen

The above is my job booking gallery.  As can be seen its showing some data...Wahoo.  I even managed to link in the correct external tables to create drop downs for the data entry.

However I am a bit more stumped on showing the Site Name instead of the SiteID in the browse gallery.  I would think I need to somehow tell the SiteID currently 15 and 21 to go and look up the foreign key table Site and return SiteName.  My first thought was to change the SiteID to a value list, but I dont see how to do that?  Maybe I am missing something?  I am sure its obvious and easy its just confusing when exploring?

On a second related issue...I would like to search by site name once I have the above displaying correctly.  Is there a tutorial online I can follow on how to change the search to this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Crawling and Learning ...But.........

You can do a lookup on your table which contains the Site ID to Site Name relationship.  The syntax of a lookup is:
Lookup(<table to look up in>, <field in table to look in> = <field to match>).<column from table to return>

So this might look something like:
LookUp(SiteTable, Site = SiteID).SiteName  

where Site is the name of the column containing the SiteID in the SiteTable and SiteID is the value from whatever table is behind the gallery.  SiteName is the column with the text you are wanting to show. 

As to the search function, I'd recommend Shane Young's video on search to help you down this path: https://youtu.be/FaTnOOc34os

I highly recommend all of Shane's videos in his YouTube Channel to help you on your learning journey.

LRVinNC

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

You can do a lookup on your table which contains the Site ID to Site Name relationship.  The syntax of a lookup is:
Lookup(<table to look up in>, <field in table to look in> = <field to match>).<column from table to return>

So this might look something like:
LookUp(SiteTable, Site = SiteID).SiteName  

where Site is the name of the column containing the SiteID in the SiteTable and SiteID is the value from whatever table is behind the gallery.  SiteName is the column with the text you are wanting to show. 

As to the search function, I'd recommend Shane Young's video on search to help you down this path: https://youtu.be/FaTnOOc34os

I highly recommend all of Shane's videos in his YouTube Channel to help you on your learning journey.

LRVinNC

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for the help.  I have marked it as the solution.  I see hundreds of these in my future...friggin normalisation.

I am using a derivative of this in the details screen 

LookUp('[dbo].[Divisions]',DivisionID=Parent.Default,iDivision)

However this is giving me pretty orange triangles, which are annoying.  Something about incompatible numbers as text.  I can only assume the Parent.Default is a text value by default.  How do I get rid of the decorations?  They don't seem to impact on the function just annoying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,705)