cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itsmelmon
Helper I
Helper I

Create a Power Automate Flow Triggered Off Inspections App

My company uses the Inspections App on Teams. I would like to create a flow that notifies me if an inspection is submitted with a failed or missed step. 

Is there any way I can get access to the submissions data in a flow app?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
poweractivate
Community Champion
Community Champion

@itsmelmon 

Rather than triggered off the App, it should be triggered off the underlying data source.

For example, For Dataverse your Power Automate trigger could be "When an item is created" in Dataverse 

Another example: for SharePoint List your Power Automate trigger could be "When an item is created" in SharePoint

So when let's say (for the sake of an example that presumes a lot) the Canvas App creates an "Inspection" Record in the "Inspections" Table because someone submits a Form from the canvas App. If Power Automate Flow was created and turned on with the Trigger of  "When an item is created" in Dataverse , that record created from Canvas App (or from wherever - such as a Model Driven App, a Canvas App, or really from anywhere else that does that sort of same thing) would then be the subject of a Flow run, where the Trigger was the first thing evaluated, and the record that is in there would be the record that was created.

Check if it helps @itsmelmon 

@poweractivate That's really helpful, thank you very much. Do you know where the default storage location is for the Teams Inspection app? I can't see it in Sharepoint.

@itsmelmon 

Its actually a separate Dataverse environment (Dataverse is the recent brand new name for what was formerly called Common Data Service environment or CDS environment) . 

Dataverse for Teams is the type, and it is a new, very specific, and very special type of environment.

The Table might be called Area Inspection that has some of the records to check, but you'd need to check for the Table you want.

A good sign is if the Dataverse has these Tables in it (partial list from A-Z):

areainspect.png

Keep in mind, that this special Teams Dataverse environment is actually separate from any others. Any Apps in any other Dataverse environments, have their own separate Tables whose data and records are not shared with this environment. So make sure when you go and make the Flow, from https://us.flow.microsoft.com/ that you switch to this environment specifically before you create it. Careful, it may be hard to tell as the name of the environment may be very similar to another Dataverse environment that is not the Dataverse for Teams one. You may need to cross reference the Environment GUID's showing in the URL bar with the right environment ID's as seen from the Power Platform Admin Center

Although technically a more refined and detailed explanation might be more accurate, we believe this specific functionality you are inquiring about is either the main essential point of the notorious new release known as Project Oakdale or even if it is something separate, it is something very strongly associated with that wave of releases. Essentially the main point is that having the Dataverse in the same exact database as Teams was something not previously possible before just a few months ago actually before this new powerful feature set was introduced. That unique way the Canvas Apps like the Teams Inspection app just run so directly in Teams itself like that and on the exact same database using even the Dataverse capabilities directly on the same underlying backend. Essentially Teams just being on Dataverse itself is a pretty recently released and potentially very powerful capability, and it could possibly help even replace some specific implementation cases where before it required manual Office 365 development of highly custom apps that required advanced coding, with hard coded Graph API calls and complicated synchronizations, etc. that could previously possibly only be done using complex code only and requiring full initialization of a full stack Office 365 Development, even for simple Teams apps previously (depends on the specific case).

Check if this above helps @itsmelmon 

@poweractivate Thank you so much. This is super helpful. So I have found the correct data table and I have created a common data service connector, however, for some reason I am getting a 401 error when I try to access this in a flow.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,856)