cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Create a record in an Entity when another record on a different Entity is changed

I'm trying to test this thing out but can't do much more than create an app that shows the data from the list on my phone. 

I am looking to make a simple application. 

We have an entity called hardware and it has a location field. 

All I want is to create a record somewhere when the location changes.  I have access to the CDM Entities and I have access to Onedrive for business. 

Can this be done?  It's not proven to be easy at all so far.  Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Create a record in an Entity when another record on a different Entity is changed

Hi CarlH,

I created two custom entities in my CDM database. Entity1 had a location field with data. Entity2 also had a location field with no data.
Then I created an App based on Entity1 to show the data, and a flow to create an object on Entity2 when an object in Entity1 is modified. Below is a screenshot of my flow.

create new object.PNG

When I modified the location through App, a new object would be created in Entity2. I hope it could be a reference for you.

If I misunderstand you, please feel free reply.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Create a record in an Entity when another record on a different Entity is changed

Thanks Mabel,  I will give this a shot but there is more to it that I can't figure out. What I am trying to do is show the history of movement of an item.

When Entity1’s Location field changes, your app creates a record on the Entity2 which is what I want but I need more than just the record.  I need to show the New Location and also the previous location it was changed from so we can have a history. 

How can I get it to copy the old value first and then put the new value in?   Then what if I move it again?  I want it to create another record in Entity2 to again show the new location when I change it and the previous location I changed from. 

If I can get this working like described I see a big benefit.

Thanks!

Carl

Highlighted

Hi Carl,

Did you figure this out? im trying to do a similar thing, but with the version of a document i.e. keep the document details, but when a new verion is issued, keep the old record and create a new one.

best regards

Paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,489)