cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create an app to give ticket number

Hi,

I am new at PowerApps, but I am usually a good self-teached and fast learner. 

So I want to create an app that would ask the user for information (Name, date, request...) and that would save this information into an Excel Workbook Table.

Then, the app would give the user the next available "Ticket number".

Before launching the project, I would like to know if PowerApps can input data into an Excel Workbook?

Can it keep count of numbers and give out the next available?

Any existing template that anyone would like to suggest? 

Right now, there are 10 people (future users) who are calling me to have the next number in line and I need to input all this information myself, I am looking for a solution. 

3 REPLIES 3
Power Apps Staff LukeW-MSFT
Power Apps Staff

Re: Create an app to give ticket number

Hello!

I am not sure about an app directly backed by an excel (it is easy to pull in data from a static excel sheet but writing to it is another matter), but I think a relatively easy way to get yourself started would be to build a Sharepoint list with the columns of data you want (name, date, request,...). An example Sharepoint list of mine:

image.png

Then, once you have created the SharePoint list, build an app using the SharePoint option on powerapps.com:

image.png

This will automatically build an app for you with 3 screens. Most important for your purposes is probably the Edit Screen, where a user of the app can fill out the form and submit their info which will then go to the sharepoint list.

At some point later, you can go back to the sharepoint list (which should now contain all that user information) and "Export to Excel"

This is a rough outline but it should help get you started creating an app for this purpose.

As for the ticket number part...

There are many ways you could achieve this once you get the data entry part working. One option is to set EditForm1.OnSuccess = Set(CountNum, CountNum + 1); Navigate(TicketNumberScreen, ScreenTransition.None) where TicketNumberScreen is a new screen you create that show the user the ticket number (represented by CountNum). If you go this route make sure to set CountNum to 0 like Set(CountNum, 0) at some point when you start the app, maybe in BrowseScreen1.OnStart.

Hope this helps!

-Luke

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you want to input data into your Excel file from a PowerApps app?

Could you please share a bit more about the "Ticket Number" that you mentioned? Is it the Record Id (1,2,...n)?

If you want to input data into your Excel file (Excel table) from a PowerApps app, you should add the Excel file (Excel table) as a data source within your PowerApps app firstly. You could consider take a try with the following two ways to create your PowerApps app:

I agree with @LukeW-MSFT's thought almost, I assume that you generate a app from Excel in PowerApps, the app that you created would include there Screens (Generate automatically): Browse Screen, Detail Screen and Edit/Create Screen. If you want to get the Ticket Number from your PowerApps app, please take a try with the following workaround:

• Set the OnVisible property of the first Screen (Browser Screen) to following formula:

Set(TicketNumber,CountRows(Table1))

• Set the OnSuccess property of the EditForm within your Edit Screen to the following formula:

Refresh(Table1);Set(TicketNumber,CountRows(Table1));Navigate(TicketNumberScreen,ScreenTransition.Fade)

Note: The Table1 represents the Excel table data source within my PowerApps app. The TicketNumberScreen screen is a screen that you created to display the Ticket Number.

• Add a Label control within the TicketNumberScreen screen, set the Text propety of the Label control to the following formula:
TicketNumber

Note: The Label control is used to display the Ticket Number.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous

Here is a video on getting started with Excel and PowerApps.

Here is a video of creating an auto-increment column in Excel with PowerApps.

These should help you get started.

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,959)