cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kommadore
Frequent Visitor

Createdby column is read only, blocking editing of tickets.

Good morning,

I created this post in the Dataverse area as well but the more I look at it, the less I believe there's a resolution on that side.

I have a ticket system built from the dataverse source template. Everything works fine up until we need to edit an existing ticket through the app, which would edit the row in dataverse. The error it gives when trying to save the edit is that the 'Created by' lookup column is read only. I have not been able to find a way to change this setting.

Is changing the column from read only to modifiable the way to go or is there a smarter way to approach updating the rows through the app? I've used patch for sharepoint before but not sure it would work for a dataverse table. Is there a solution i'm just completely overlooking?

Thank you,
Justin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

CreatedBy is a system level field and that is why it is readonly.  You can't manually change it.  Why are you trying to change it?  If its to track who made the last change then use the ModifiedBy field.  The system will automatically update that every time a change is saved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

CreatedBy is a system level field and that is why it is readonly.  You can't manually change it.  Why are you trying to change it?  If its to track who made the last change then use the ModifiedBy field.  The system will automatically update that every time a change is saved.

View solution in original post

When I have a ticket in system and I try to edit it (changing the drop down of a custom 'Ticket Status' choice field from 'Pending' to 'Resolved' for example), the app will kick back with an error saying it can't save changes due to the CreatedBy field being read only. I don't believe that field should change when editing but I could be wrong, however it is blocking the ticket from being updated.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Is it a Canvas App or Model Driven app?

This is a Canvas App built using the Service Desk template when creating from a Dataverse source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,022)