cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Createing Case in Canvas App

I am working on my first canvas app. In it I have a form to create a case/incident but for some reason I am not able to add the responsiblecontactid field, it does not show up as an option when I clieck edit fields on the form. Furthermore the subject field is read only where other form field have an option between the read only and edit the subject field is grayed out as read only. Is there any way to add these fields to my form so that the case can be created? They are both required in my enviorment. 

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

Re: Createing Case in Canvas App

What type of datasource are you using? (SharePoint, Excel, SQL etc.)

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please share a bit more about the data source you used within your app? Is it the CDS Entity?

Actually, the Edit form could only load part of fields from your data source when you connected the Edit form to your data source. If you want to add additional fields from your data source within the Edit form, please check the following GIF screenshot:Test.gif

Please also check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/improved-datasource-and-field-selection-in-canvas-apps/

In addition, please check if the Subject field is a System field within your data source. Also please check if you have chosen a proper type of Subject field within the Fields panel.

Note: If your data source is a CDS Entity, and the Subject field is LookUp type column, it may exist two Subject field type within the Fields panel of the Edit form. Please consider click "Edit fields"-> "Add fields" button, then choose the Subject with proper type. 

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies for not specifying, my data source is Dynamics 365(CDS). The Subject field is a OOB field under the case entity. See field details attached:

Additionally what I am doing is clicking the edit fields, then add fields and in the list that appears contact is absent, this too is an OOB field.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found that the field responsiblecontactid (oob on incident entity in cds) is also not visible in Microsoft Flow... This makes it near impossible for me to create a case without this required field. I can't create it through and form and now I can't create it through a microsoft flow.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you taken a try with the solution I provided above?

Based on the screenshot that you provided, I know the Subject field is a LookUp type field in your Entity. I have made a a test on my side,  the custom LookUp field could be displayed within the Edit form.

Please consider click "Edit fields"-> "Add field" option within Edit form (please check previous screenshot I provided for more details), then check if the Subject field could be displayed there. 

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xida-msftYes ,Kris Dai the edit fields, add field and searching for the field to add it is what I have been trying to do from the start. This fields is just not there. Although it looks like a standard lookup field and it is OOB I am guessing it has some custom Microsoft logic just like the primarycontact field does on the incident entity. Please note this is an OOB field and not a custom field.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is the Subject a LookUp field in your Case Entity?

Which PowerApps license does your sign in account have?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think this issue may be related to Case Entity.

The Case Entity is a restricted Entity in Dynamics 365, which would be restricted to specific to Dynamics 365 licenses. If you want to access restricted Entitises within PowerApps, your sign in account must own specific Dynamics 365 license.

More details about estricted Entitises requiring Dynamics 365 licenses, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/data-platform-restricted-entities

If you want to access Case Entity, your sign in account must own Dynamics 365 for Customer Service, Enterprise edition or Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement plan or Dynamics 365 plan.

Please consider assign or purchase corresponding Dynamics 365 license for your sign in account, then try it again, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

tommyly
Level 8

I posted a similar topic on the Flows forum (https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Connecting-To-Data/Flow-Not-Showing-Dynamics-Lookup-Field/td-p/3...).

I don't think it's the Case Entity, as I have been working on Microsoft Flows with our Case Entity in the past with no problems. Very recently, I tried for the first time to access the same field reponsiblecontactid and it does not show up. Every single field shows up from the Case Entity table except for that one field.

I'm starting to think maybe it's just that column that is a one-off. I'm not sure why or how.

tommyly
Level 8

Apparently a suggestion to fix this issue has been pending since 2017

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Using-Flows/responsiblecontactid/td-p/47086

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,809)