cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a Collection

Can a Collection be created this way? Rather than the data source being a list its a Gallery within the App?

Button 'OnSelect' =   Collect(NewMemberCollection,NewMemberCreationGallery)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I type and talk in circles. I apologizes.

I believe I've solved my problem without the variable, by not using it.

I've decide to just have Gallery 2 field look at and capture the same fields in Gallery 1.

For this exercise it should be sufficient; the data is certainly appearing as desired.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Bilakanti
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes, even that way would work.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

That will not work for you.  You will end up with a collection with one object in it...the gallery object.

Your formula would be:  Collect(NewMemberCollection,NewMemberCreationGallery.AllItems)

However, it begs the question...why create a collection of information that you technically already have a collection of (the Gallery)?

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't you heard; 'ignorance is bliss'.😂

I'm trying to figure it out as I go along.

I have a new member form with a Gallery and the button.

The button would patch new member data to the Collection and a variable would push data to another 'Approval' Gallery.

I originally had the button patching the data to a New Member List in SP. But I changed my mind, and thought to do it this way instead.

You don't think this is the right approach?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I'm not exactly following the role of a collection and a variable in this case.  As well, I am not exactly sure of your overall design.  So, I'd need to understand more about the Gallery and what it has in it to give a complete opinion.

As for the change in approach...you're just adding a complexity step that, in my opinion, is overcomplicating your app design.  If you have a list of New Members (presumably in the Gallery), then that is already a collection (a table).  You can update your datasource from it.  Adding a collection in the mix means that now you are taking a snapshot of the items in the Gallery and then doing something with that.  Thus the "begs the question" since you already have your data in the Gallery.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep; I agree.

How about this instead -

It looks like, with help from all, that I'm working through most of my Patch issues. I'll skip the Collections idea.

I've got two Galleries; New Member Submission and New Member Approval.

I've got the following in a button in the New Member Submission Gallery and I've verified the variable is working: Set(varIsNewMemberRecord, ThisItem);

I got the Approval Gallery Items property set to varIsNewMemberRecord; when I transition to the Approval screen the Approval Gallery is not auto-populating with the data being pushed by the variable. Rather it is defaulting to data on the data sourch 'Member List'.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I'm not following what you are trying to do with a variable.

You are setting the variable to an individual selected item in your New Member gallery, then you are looking at another Gallery on the approval screen that has its Item property set to that value (a single record).  What are you expecting?

Can you provide a little more context to the flow of your app and details of what you expect?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I type and talk in circles. I apologizes.

I believe I've solved my problem without the variable, by not using it.

I've decide to just have Gallery 2 field look at and capture the same fields in Gallery 1.

For this exercise it should be sufficient; the data is certainly appearing as desired.

Thanks!

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Okay...as long as you're getting it 😂  And it is working for you 😁

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,383)