cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
axt3641
Level: Powered On

Creating a Store Inventory Tracker (with inventory, quantity, shopping cart, etc...)

Hello PowerApps community! Hope everyone had a pleasant holidays.

I have been tasked with building an inventory tracking store. This may be used for a company to manage supplies and for users to order items. A few questions:

1. Using a data source to manage the equipment - If we want to have an image, description and quantity displayed for each item, is it better to use an Excel File or SharePoint List as the source? Any tips on the best way to proceed?

2. Building a shopping cart - Build the logic where users can go in and add inventory to their shopping cart (using a collection perhaps?) - Users are able to see the current inventory amount (current stock) and be able to add and remove inventory before checking out the items

3. For the Admin Section - Create a gallery/form section where admins can add/replenish the stock

Thanks much!
Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Creating a Store Inventory Tracker (with inventory, quantity, shopping cart, etc...)

Hi @axt3641 ,

For your first question, if you want to have image, description and quantity displayed for each item, I think SharePoint List would be better for your scenario.

The Excel table is not a delegable data source, so you could only retrieve 2000 records at most from your Excel table (Due to Delegation issue). If the amount of equipment is more than 2000, the rest of records would not be retrieved into your app.

For your second question, do you want to build shopping cart logic in your app? Add and remove inventory before checking out the items?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the collection could achieve your needs. You could consider set up a collection within your app to store the added inventory. You could use the Patch function add new inventory into your InventoryCollection, and use RemoveIf function to remove inventory from your InventoryCollection.

On your side, you could consider add a Gallery in your app to act as a Shopping cart, and connect the Gallery to your InventoryCollection. More details about setting up a Shoping cat in PowerApps, please check and see if the following video would help in your scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOcQIMvdWW4

For your third question, I think your thought is correct. You could consider add a Gallery (configure it as Editable Grid, so you edit the records within the Gallery directly) or a Edit form in your app, then connect it to your equipment stock data source, then you could use the Gallery or Edit form to submit data to your equipment stock data source.

More details about configuring a Editable Grid in PowerApps app, please check and see if the following video would help in your scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Mpgn7svLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2WqhRTUhyw

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SKH19
Level 10

Re: Creating a Store Inventory Tracker (with inventory, quantity, shopping cart, etc...)

@axt3641 

1) I would recommend using CDS, that way you can customize your views and create multiple linked entities. In SharePoint it would be a lot harder to manage everything in lists.

2) Not sure what you are asking, but this is doable.

3) Same as 2.

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @axt3641 ,

For your first question, if you want to have image, description and quantity displayed for each item, I think SharePoint List would be better for your scenario.

The Excel table is not a delegable data source, so you could only retrieve 2000 records at most from your Excel table (Due to Delegation issue). If the amount of equipment is more than 2000, the rest of records would not be retrieved into your app.

For your second question, do you want to build shopping cart logic in your app? Add and remove inventory before checking out the items?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the collection could achieve your needs. You could consider set up a collection within your app to store the added inventory. You could use the Patch function add new inventory into your InventoryCollection, and use RemoveIf function to remove inventory from your InventoryCollection.

On your side, you could consider add a Gallery in your app to act as a Shopping cart, and connect the Gallery to your InventoryCollection. More details about setting up a Shoping cat in PowerApps, please check and see if the following video would help in your scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOcQIMvdWW4

For your third question, I think your thought is correct. You could consider add a Gallery (configure it as Editable Grid, so you edit the records within the Gallery directly) or a Edit form in your app, then connect it to your equipment stock data source, then you could use the Gallery or Edit form to submit data to your equipment stock data source.

More details about configuring a Editable Grid in PowerApps app, please check and see if the following video would help in your scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Mpgn7svLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2WqhRTUhyw

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

axt3641
Level: Powered On

Hi Kris, Thank you so much for your response. I greatly appreciate the detailed message!
I have used your advice and proceeded with creating the backend using 2 SharePoint Lists (1 for the inventory and the other for the orders). It seems to be working out thus far (and I can add the images here using a SharePoint Lookup field) 🙂

For the 2nd part, I definitely want to build the shopping cart logic that can add/remove items. Will definitely check out how Patching works. I appreciate all the videos links. Would Patching write the updates to the SharePoint List or will that require another modification>

For the 3rd part, excellent idea with the Editable Grid! My previous idea was to create an Editable Form that would allow users to see the item details after clicking on an individual items in the gallery. If I were to do an Editable Grid, would be best approach be to just have all the fields be "Read Only" on the Grid except for the Quantity?

Thanks!!
Andy

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,232)