cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Creating a collection and tying to to a specific report?

Hi all, 

A quick summary of my app:

I have a canvas app for logging reperation work, that uses Sharepoint as a database.

I have the expected fields on the "Edit" screen (Equipment, equip nr, notes, rep. description, etc). I also have the standard "attachments" field. I use Flow to grab the attachments, upload them into a Sharepoint library and then display them in the report with the .Thumbnail funciton".

I came across a video by Shane Young in which he shows how to set up a collection in PA. I thought it would be neat to use a collection on my edit screen so that supervisors could open a activity and add specific work to be done.

A text input with a +, so they can go through and add things, for example:

Change to winter tires +

Change oil +

Mount extra headlights+

I will then show that collection of specific activities in the view screen with a gallery.

My question is: How do I link the collection items on that report, to that specific report, so that the entries there are tied only to that specific report?

Also, is this even possbile when I'm using Sharepoint as a database?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

You can use your SharePoint list as a data source in your gallery and that will show your list items, then you can use a form to do your adds and edits.

I am not sure what you are using the collection for, and I am a little confused what  you mean by report.

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. If it answered your question, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

A SharePoint list is my data source, and I'm using it as the source for my gallery.

All of my data input is through data cards. I have my form on the edit screen, you fill out the fields connected to the data cards and save.

SharePoint has worked well for this. 

I'm talking about adding a collection in the edit screen. When I do this it makes a local collection in the powerapp, but I don't see how I can specify where it should save and I don't see how I can link it to an item ID.

When I say report, I mean in the information in the view screen. (you know the standard build : Dash, Edit, View)

So the thing is, I want to add a collection in the Edit screen. I want to make sure that the collection that is is registered in that specific edit screen is connected to the item ID of the report (the data that is being saved in the edit screen). 

Where are you getting the items for your collection and where do you want to save them?

If I understand this correctly, it seems that you will need to get the result of your save from your edit form and capture the ID of the newly created item into your collection.

Then you will need to do a patch to save your collection data to the source.

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. If it answered your question, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,535)