Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morall
Microsoft
Microsoft

Creating a dropdown of options from multiselect

I have a data field that is multi select

I'm trying to create a dropdown menu in a canvas app. To create the items I'm trying to do something like:

Distinct(pipeline_candidates, 'Desired Location'.Value)

I'm seeing this as the data type: Table

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 11.56.57 AM.png

How do I get access to the data in the table? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey Randy,

I just happened to stumble across this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44j2VRbdWjk

It answered my question.

I wasn't familiar with the Choices() function that selected all of the choices the user has for the multi select

and then using the concat() function to iterate through the table

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@morall 

To start with, your formula 'Location drpdwn'.SelectedText.Value is not going to be valid.  SelectedText is just that...it's Text.  It has no value property.  What you would want is 'Location drpdwn'.Selected.Value .  The SelectedText property has been deprecated and should be avoided.

Now on to the next.  You have a "data field that is multi select" - are you referring to a Choice field/column in SharePoint?  Is 'Desired Location' the data field, or is that something else?

Next, are we dealing with a DropDown or a ComboBox?

When you say "all of the distinct records that have been selected", Do you mean in your datasource, or in a dropdown or a combobox.

Maybe helpful, if a little complex, to share some screenshots or other details that can help narrow in on the solution.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

Hey Randy,

I just happened to stumble across this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44j2VRbdWjk

It answered my question.

I wasn't familiar with the Choices() function that selected all of the choices the user has for the multi select

and then using the concat() function to iterate through the table

View solution in original post

@morall 

Yep...that's why I was asking about the type of field.  It was my next response 😉

Glad you worked through it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Groups Public Preview

Join us for our User Group Public Preview!

Power Apps User Groups are coming! Make sure you’re among the first to know when user groups go live for public preview.

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (73,766)