cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Creating a new PowerApp, where to store the data?

I am trying to create a new PowerApp to get approvals for budgets. I would like to force users to use my application to submit new budget requests, and the request will go through some approval steps based on list data in SharePoint. Users must see the data as read only during that time (but they can submit requests). So How to handle such a situation with Powerapps? Do we manage the security in SharePoint? Or do we store the data in a site where they have permission to everything without telling the users the location of that site and make the data read only in PowerApps? I want the people who can approve to be able to submit requests to this list at the same time. If the request is reject, I want them to be able to edit it again and start another approval process (will be using Flow for the approvals).

Any hint will be helpful as I am new to this platform. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi Brittany,

Take a look at this documentation on "Environments".  If you create a new Environment (call it Production Apps for example), then create a Connector to your SP list, and finally connect your PowerApp to that SP connector, then users of your App will have access to the SP list "through the App only".  In SP you can keep the list private with access for you only.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/environments-overview

Hope this helps, Mike

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

You can set the form mode based on request status to Edit or View for requestors. 

Highlighted

Thanks @DanishIslam .. Yeah I know that, but my question is where to store the data itself? If I set the form to read only, etc.. Users in SharePoint will still be able to go to the list and edit data. So what's the best way to go about it when doing PowerApps projects with SharePoint?

Highlighted

Hi Brittany,

Take a look at this documentation on "Environments".  If you create a new Environment (call it Production Apps for example), then create a Connector to your SP list, and finally connect your PowerApp to that SP connector, then users of your App will have access to the SP list "through the App only".  In SP you can keep the list private with access for you only.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/environments-overview

Hope this helps, Mike

View solution in original post

Highlighted

This seems like the solution I actually need! I'll read it and see how it goes. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,816)