cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeLockwood
Level 8

Creating a popout window inside a component

I am really happy with the new component functionality so I have been playing with a way to create my own calendar control and wanted to do something similar to the existing one.  I have the calendar part almost done but what i would really like is for the component to only show a textinput and calendar button.  On the button click it shows the calendar my problem is i have not been able to find a way to control the Z index or something to that nature.  Other controls already do this such as the existing calendar control or the items list of a Combo box.  Is there a way for us to do this in our own componentS?

Thanks,
Mike L.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Creating a popout window inside a component

@MikeLockwood 

So, I was a little confused on your message then. You had originally mentioned the Z order, so I went there.

But, what you are looking for is a way to control the Component size.  First, I believe in this case you can just make your component 150x300.  If the group within it is hidden until you click the icon, this will have no real impact on your usage of the component on your screen.

However, you can control the size of the component.  The component itself has a Height and Width property.

You can put a formula in them to adjust the size.  The trick is though, you can't reference any internal variables to determine the logic you may need.  So, you have to expose a new output property (let's say CalExpanded) as a boolean and set its output default to some variable you use in the component when it is expanded or not (probably the same one you use on Visible on your group of controls).

Now...you can, in the Component itself, put a formula on the Height and Width, something like (for your Height) If(Component1.CalExpanded, 300, 35)

This will give you the sizing that you need.

Hope that is clear and helpful.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

@MikeLockwood 

Components have Z order as well within them.

Once you place the Component on your screen, you can also move that within the Z order of the hosting screen Although - you have to do it by the "..." next to the component in the left object tree.  If you click on that, there is a Reorder on the flyout menu.  You can't do it through the Home->Reorder option.

Hope that puts you in order 😉

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
MikeLockwood
Level 8

Randy,

That is not exactly what I am looking for.  Lets say I create a compont which is the size of a textbox and an Icon (Width: 150, height: 35), we will say that icon is 35x35.  I also have a group that is 150 wide by 300tall.  When I click the Icon I want to show the group.  The problem is when I but the control on the sceen and set it to the standard size 150X35 and then click the button i am missing most of the group as the control itself is set to a specific size.  I want to know how I achive the same thing as the options list of a combo box or the calendar popup of a calendar control.  They are set to the size of the text area but when clicking them there is a popup that sits ontop of everything that allow additional control.

Hope this make sense.

Thanks,
Mike L.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@MikeLockwood 

So, I was a little confused on your message then. You had originally mentioned the Z order, so I went there.

But, what you are looking for is a way to control the Component size.  First, I believe in this case you can just make your component 150x300.  If the group within it is hidden until you click the icon, this will have no real impact on your usage of the component on your screen.

However, you can control the size of the component.  The component itself has a Height and Width property.

You can put a formula in them to adjust the size.  The trick is though, you can't reference any internal variables to determine the logic you may need.  So, you have to expose a new output property (let's say CalExpanded) as a boolean and set its output default to some variable you use in the component when it is expanded or not (probably the same one you use on Visible on your group of controls).

Now...you can, in the Component itself, put a formula on the Height and Width, something like (for your Height) If(Component1.CalExpanded, 300, 35)

This will give you the sizing that you need.

Hope that is clear and helpful.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,270)