Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Creating a simple search on Large SharePoint List

Hello,

• I have a very simple list in SharePoint Called "Cases" and have connected it to my Power App.  
  • I Created a Text Input field to filter the "Cases" to whatever is typed in the Text Input
  • When adding the formula Filter(Cases,'Campaign Filter' = SearchCase.txt) or even if I use Search, I get several errors.

The Red X says it is an Invalid argument. 

How can I search through a large SharePoint List in Power Apps?

• 01.png
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Creating a simple search on Large SharePoint List

You're using .txt instead of .Text. You may have a delegation issue if your list is too large (all data won't be returned).

How big is the list?

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

Thank you, but after that change now no records are returned in the search and I have a warning that delegation may not work on large lists.

• I thought Filter was delegatable to a sharepoint List?
  • What would you suggest I do to search through a list of 20k cases that are in a SharePoint List?

02.png

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Replace In with =

I believe the delegation warning you are getting is because of the 'In' not the SharePoint source.

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Yes that worked, but makes the app useless.  Users would need to type the exact name of a company to return a result. 

• Is there any way at all in Power APPS to query a Large SharePoint List without using =?
  • Will SQL Server support the IN function?

Thanks again for all your help!

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Try using the Search() function instead of Filter()

---

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Search function doesn't work at all.  It cant be delegated and all the columns have a red X. 

• Did I enter the formula wrong?

04.png

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

It looks correct from here, but you can double check with the documentation here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-filter-lookup

Search( Table, SearchString, Column1 [, Column2, ... ] )

• Table - Required. Table to search.
  • SearchString - Required. The string to search for. If blank or an empty string, all records are returned.
  • Column(s) - Required. The names of columns within Table to search. Columns to search must contain text. Column names must be strings and enclosed in double quotes. However, the column names must be static and cannot be calculated with a formula. If SearchString is found within the data of any of these columns as a partial match, the full record will be returned.

---

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Ok looks like search is not delagatable.   Here is a formula that is and will work on a large SharePoint list.

Filter(Cases,StartsWith('Company Name - Nombre de Empresa',SearchCase.Text))

The StartsWith is delegatable and can search all 20k +  records with no issue.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,295)