cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ncr703
Frequent Visitor

Creating an empty folder on local network

Hello,

I'm trying to understand a method that would work for the following, simplified, situation. I need to create a folder on a local machine to store enormous (1TB+) engineering data files. Due to their size they cannot be loaded onto a cloud system.

However, I still need to use my powerapp to create the folder on the local network. The foldername is automatically given the unique reference number of the data by the powerapp, and is our method of organising the data.

The question is: What's the best way to press a button in a PowerApp, and have a folder be created on the user's desktop (or on the local network) WITHOUT also having that data try and upload to the cloud. Can the File System flow be used for this and somehow disconnect the gateway from uploading?

Alternatively can I trigger a batch file or python script on the user's local network via a button in the PowerApp?

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4
mdevaney
Super User III
Super User III

@ncr703 
PowerApps is a cloud-based platform for app creation.  It does not have any way to interact with the desktop and cannot create new  folders or execute python scripts.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

ncr703
Frequent Visitor

Hi mdevaney,

I appreciate that there isn't a direct method within powerapps and I said as much in my original post. However, there must be a workaround method that has been devised.

@ncr703 

I'm not aware of any connectors that would allow you to read/write from a local file system.  I would say that if there is a solution it would likely include using a Flow.  My suggestion would be to try posting this question to the Power Automate Community as well.

Link to Power Automate Community
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Power-Automate/ct-p/FL_GeneralDiscussions

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

timl
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @ncr703 

@mdevaney is correct in that the answer to this involves Flow. The technique is to install the on-premise gateway and to build a Flow that uses the file system connector.

There are some more details here:

https://automationadmin.com/2019/10/connect-ms-flow-to-on-prem 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,058)