cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_lydick
Level: Powered On

Creating filters with Variable

We have a table(Sharepoint List) that is using the Employee User().FullName as the header. Full disclosure, I did not design this table. The data in this column represent numerical rating (1-5) on skills for various products and technology. This data is entered by the employees. I need to access this column with the O365 User().FullName value of the user that accesses the Powerapp. I have this set in a global variable. Is there a way to use this variable to build a filter for this column of data? I tried referencing directly from the filter but does not seem to be valid. I see other articles saying column headers can not be referenced with a variable. Is this the case, is there another way to build this filter?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Creating filters with Variable

Hi @mike_lydick,

Sorry but I didn't fully understand, what exactly is the column name that you set for this column in SharePoint list? You should be able to ensure this by checking the name shown here in the list:

Capture.JPG

Is this a Person and Group column? If so, then generally, my understanding is that you want to filter the gallery where this column's value matches "User().FullName". You do not need a variable to do this. Just use below formula in the Items property of the gallery:

Filter(ListName,ColumnName.DisplayName=User().FullName)

If this does not work, try:

Filter(ListName,ColumnName.Email=User().Email)

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mike_lydick
Level: Powered On

Re: Creating filters with Variable

We have Columns as such to represent skill ratings.

SkillJohn SmithJane BlackRoger Thomson
Routing541
Python Development252
Vmware413

I need to be able to update the skill rating. We need to reference the column by fullname and skill rating by the name of the skill. 

Thanks for the suggestion but it does work. In your example would ColumnName be User().FullName?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,409)