cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Creating new record from TextInput using Patch() error "A value must be provided for item"

Hi,

I am trying to do something as simple as creating a new record in a single column table in an excel spreadsheet from a TextInput, but am getting the error "A value must be provided for item".

The syntax I am trying to use is

Patch(Table,Defaults(Table),{ Column: TextInput.Text})

As a test, I tried

Patch(Table,Defaults(Table),{ Column: "test"})

which created the record succesfully.

Why doesn't it work when I replace "test" with TextInput.Text?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Creating new record from TextInput using Patch() error "A value must be provided for item"

Hello @anklez ,

Not sure why you're getting the error. Can you please try the following?:

Patch(Table,Defaults(Table),{ Column: Text(TextInput.Text)})
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Creating new record from TextInput using Patch() error "A value must be provided for item"

Hi @dinusc

For some reason, your suggestion creates a blank record instead of using the text from TextInput

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Is it possible that you have some column-level format restriction set up in your Excel file?

Can you drop a test label on the screen and bind it to Text(TextInput.Text)? Does it show data properly? If so then I would suggest to perofm another test with a brand new Excel file  with a test table with just a couple of columns. If you can successfully Patch data to that file then you can review your original file.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am able to Patch a record using 

Patch(Table,Defaults(Table),{ Column: "test"})

which tells me there shouldn't be anything wrong with the excel file? The issue only appears when I try to Patch text from TextInput

I added a test label to the Screen bound to Text(TextInput.Text) and it worked as expected. 

I will try a new excel file later on today but I'm not confident it will fix it. 

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

If new Excel file addresses the issue then I would check the previous file to see if there're any column restrictions, such as enforced format (text, currency, number of decimals and etc.).

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,926)