Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Custom forms and apps after Root site swap

Hi

Has anyone had any dealings with swapping your root site on SPO and what effect that has on custom forms and any powerapps applications built before the swap?

I have built a number of forms and applications for my org however i now need to swap the root site and i'm worried that if the URL changes on the root site, all that work will have to be redone.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Custom forms and apps after Root site swap

Hello @mbarratt . If I understand your question correctly, you have an app built based on some SharePoint lists. You would like to move those lists to a different site and you're worried about the amount of work that needs to be done to make your app work after the switch. If this is correct then the only thing you will need to do is to remove the old lists from the app, add new lists and re-publish the app. You will not need to change anything else since the new "root site" should have the same lists.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @mbarratt 

I haven't actually done that but as long as the list names (datasources) and column names are the same, you will just have to reconnect them to your galleries and forms.  When you disconnect from the lists, all of your galleries and forms will red flag until you reconnect them to the new datasources.  Just to be sure, Disconnect one of the lists and reconnect it to the new list in the other site and see if it works. 

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks, i figured that was the case. The aspect that's bothering me the most is the custom powerapps forms on SharePoint lists. There doesn't seem to be a way to migrate these, the official line is to recreate them which i definitely don't want to be doing.
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks, that is only part of the problem. I understand that i can reconnect the data sources to the powerapps and the associated flows. The part that is bothering me the most is the custom forms that have been created on SharePoint lists, there doesnt seem to be a way to migrate these and i'm worried that after swapping the root site, the URL for all the lists with custom forms will be different and therefore need rebuilding. This is the case if i change the URL on a site but didn't know if it was the same for changing the root site.

I think i'm going to have to sign up and create a test environment online, then swap the root site and see what happens.

Thanks

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

I've never tried that, but I would think that copying-and-pasting forms and other controls from older app to new app should do the trick. You may also need to copy any formulas that are not defined on visible controls and forms, such as Screen or App formulas (if you have any obviously). Example: Screen.OnVisible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,861)