cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Customise form - Date format to be based on user's regional setting

I have customised a form in a SPO list. The SPO site has a UK regional settings, however it's accessed from users around the world and each user may have set their own region in their profile.

RIght now, even though the site's region is set to UK and my profile region is set to UK, the date format in the form is US. But when the date column displays in a view, it shows in UK format as expected.

I need the date fields in the form to follow the user's region. How do I do that?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Re: Customise form - Date format to be based on user's regional setting

Hi @sandra_nz,

From within Power Apps there is no direct way to access a users regional setting. SharePoint does use this. but from Power Apps unfortunately not (yet).

You should also vote on @YatinMumbai 's idea: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Date-formats-using-user-s-locale-or-regional-da...

I have created a workaround to get a users Email Inbox folder naming because that is language specific upon creation but I would not recommend it for bigger organizations en with more than 2 languages it becomes an hassle.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks, I've voted!

If I did want to set it to be UK date format rather than US date format, can I do that?

Highlighted
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Definitely!

You can edit the Date Picker Control (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-date-picker for more info on the control )and the following properties are relevant:

• DateTimezone
  • Format
  • Langage

What I often do so I can centrally manage the format that I want:

1. add a label somewhere in the Power App on a screen that no one will see except us "makers":
    example ConfigLabelDateFormat
  2. In that label I add the formatting code that I want:
    example of a formula that switched betweem languages: If(FormLanguage="TextDutch","[$-nl-NL]ddd dd mmm yyyy","[$-en-US]ddd dd mmm yyyy")
  3. In the Format property of the Date Picker we can reference this label: ConfigLabelDateFormat.Text

Then language 1 Dutch = 
DatePickerLanguage1.png

And language 2 English US = 
DatePickerLanguage2.png

So you can put a texts like "[$-nl-NL]ddd dd mmm yyyy" directly in the Date Picker Control in the Format Property but when you have multiple Date Pickers throughout your Power App you may want to centralize the management of the format 👍

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Aaaaah, I like it! I will use this in my form! Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,403)