Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sonyam3
Helper I
Helper I

Customize Forms option missing in Custom List with Datasheet View

Hi all

I've been using DocAve to migrate some SharePoint 2010 sites to SharePoint Online. One of the lists I'm trying to migrate looks like a regular custom list in 2010, but when it's migrated, SharePoint Online plops it in a "Custom List with Datasheet View" instead of a regular "Custom List".

I'm trying to build a PowerApp for it by using Customize Forms, but that option is not listed in the PowerApps drop-down. I assume it's because it's a "Custom List with Datasheet View"? Does anyone know if that could cause the Customize Forms option to be missing?

Thanks in advance,

Sonya

8 REPLIES 8
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @sonyam3 ,

I can relate to exactly what you have experienced as I have an older list the same. I think it was originally exported from Excel (Save As > SharePoint), but the result is the same. Depending on how big the list is, you could try exporting it to Excel and then try New > App > Import Spreadsheet and see if this gets the results you need.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @sonyam3 ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Ah, I missed the notification of your reply. I'll give that a try today and let you know! Thanks!

Sonya

Ok, I tried to do an Excel export, but there were too many lookup fields (people picker and date fields) in the list to display all the fields in a view for the export. 😕

So, I think even if I exported/imported in two or three chunks, I don't think the Customize Form PowerApp would even load anyway because of all the lookup columns.

It looks like I'll have to take more time and build a canvas app.

Thanks for the suggestion though! I'll definitely give it a try if I come across another list that has that issue. 👍

Hi @sonyam3 ,

Sorry that did not work - two things

You should not be exporting from Excel - that is the mistake I made and ended up with a list I could not use Power Apps menus on.

Secondly, how are you intending to bring Lookup columns from Excel? I know I am stating the obvious, but Copy > Paste as Values would turn them into Text.

I would have tried creating the lookup columns in SharePoint Online, then use Quick Edit to copy/paste from the Excel/text columns to the lookup columns. 🙂 I did that on a test list a few weeks ago to see if it was possible to copy names from a text column to a people picker in quick edit, and it worked.
jlusujith

I am having exact same problem with a lsit created with custom list in data sheet view option.

I want to customize the form with power apps and retain the same url for new item creation form.

any idea how i can achieve this?

@jlusujith ,

As per my post - in SharePoint New > App > Import Spreadsheet 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,617)