cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate V
Advocate V

Data Source icon missing in some apps

Anyone have an idea why some of my apps are missing the Data Source icon in the left menu? In the image below, both apps are accessing SQL Server tables via an on-prem gateway. The one on the right correctly has the Data Source icon, but the one on the left does not. This thread is not the answer for this issue. Already checked that.

I know Data Sources exists as a button in the ribbon, but it is missing in the left hand menu. I know how to get to it, just want to understand why it is missing and hopefully fix it as I much prefer to access quickly in the left menu.

20200204 15_16_08-Item Development - Saved (Unpublished) - Power Apps - Work - Microsoft Edge.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@v-siky-msft @iAm_ManCat 

I was struggling to figure out why I could not see the datasource for all of the pre-made "template apps" and your posts have resolved my issue.

It is my understanding the "Improve data source experience and Common Data Service views" option is requires a deprecated setting called "Relational Data, option sets, and other new features for CDS" to also checked.  What happens when this deprecated setting is removed?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Community Support
Community Support

@EdHansberry 

What is the difference between the two PowerApps windows?

Do you mean the data source still doesn't display even if you have toggle on the 'Improve data source experience and CDS Views' Feature?

What is the browser you are using? Does this issue happen on all browsers, to all apps? 

Could you please try this to check if your issue is fixed?

-- sign out your account completely,

-- clear the browser cache

-- update the browser to the latest version

Sik

Super User II
Super User II

Just going to add a +1 to what @v-siky-msft already said about toggling the Improved data source experience toggle in each of the App settings where the left-side data source bar is not showing - some of your Apps (depending on when they were created) may not show the new experience and need the toggle switched off and on again. This resolved my experiences of this, hopefully it helps with yours too.

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

@v-siky-msft @iAm_ManCat 

I was struggling to figure out why I could not see the datasource for all of the pre-made "template apps" and your posts have resolved my issue.

It is my understanding the "Improve data source experience and Common Data Service views" option is requires a deprecated setting called "Relational Data, option sets, and other new features for CDS" to also checked.  What happens when this deprecated setting is removed?

View solution in original post

I'll have to try toggling, but it will require turning on depreciated features. I'll give this ago this weekend.

I tried toggling but it didn't work. The data icon showed up when I enabled both the "Improved Data Source Experience..." and "Relational Data..." depreciated features, but once I saved, closed, and reopened the app then disabled those features, it went away again.

Do these have to be left on? Why do I need to enable a depreciated feature and what happens when this depreciated feature vanishes?

@EdHansberry 

My testing showed that the settings must be left on, not simply toggled.  +1 for your concerns about deprecated features.

Historically, the "configuration" team would add icons to any custom entities. There is also a bit of a disconnect between the developer focused OOB team and the functional mindset. Branding the application tends to fall in a functional mindset "configuration over developer".  

@mdevaney - I am configuring the Shoutouts App from a template and like the OP the familiar Data Source icon is missing in the left hand column.  I have tried enabling the "Relational data, options sat, and other new features for CDS" option in the deprecated section but to no avail. It is not clear to me the exact fix for this per your previous response.  Please advise.
Kudos App - Missing DB Icon LH panel.PNG

According to this https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/preview-for-improve-data-source-experience-and-common-dat... you can restore the data source icon by turning on the “Improve data source experience and Common Data Service views” switch.  When you do, you get a pop up to turn on "Use Column Display Names" which I did. Then I could go back and turn on “Improve data source experience and Common Data Service views”. I saved, closed app, and then when I opened the app again the data source icon was restored to the sidebar. 

Kudos App - Missing DB Icon Settings - Col Displays.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,358)