cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdHansberry
Level 8

Data Source icon missing in some apps

Anyone have an idea why some of my apps are missing the Data Source icon in the left menu? In the image below, both apps are accessing SQL Server tables via an on-prem gateway. The one on the right correctly has the Data Source icon, but the one on the left does not. This thread is not the answer for this issue. Already checked that.

I know Data Sources exists as a button in the ribbon, but it is missing in the left hand menu. I know how to get to it, just want to understand why it is missing and hopefully fix it as I much prefer to access quickly in the left menu.

20200204 15_16_08-Item Development - Saved (Unpublished) - Power Apps - Work - Microsoft Edge.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Data Source icon missing in some apps

@v-siky-msft @iAm_ManCat 

I was struggling to figure out why I could not see the datasource for all of the pre-made "template apps" and your posts have resolved my issue.

It is my understanding the "Improve data source experience and Common Data Service views" option is requires a deprecated setting called "Relational Data, option sets, and other new features for CDS" to also checked.  What happens when this deprecated setting is removed?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

@EdHansberry 

What is the difference between the two PowerApps windows?

Do you mean the data source still doesn't display even if you have toggle on the 'Improve data source experience and CDS Views' Feature?

What is the browser you are using? Does this issue happen on all browsers, to all apps? 

Could you please try this to check if your issue is fixed?

-- sign out your account completely,

-- clear the browser cache

-- update the browser to the latest version

Sik

Super User
Super User

Just going to add a +1 to what @v-siky-msft already said about toggling the Improved data source experience toggle in each of the App settings where the left-side data source bar is not showing - some of your Apps (depending on when they were created) may not show the new experience and need the toggle switched off and on again. This resolved my experiences of this, hopefully it helps with yours too.

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
Super User
Super User

@v-siky-msft @iAm_ManCat 

I was struggling to figure out why I could not see the datasource for all of the pre-made "template apps" and your posts have resolved my issue.

It is my understanding the "Improve data source experience and Common Data Service views" option is requires a deprecated setting called "Relational Data, option sets, and other new features for CDS" to also checked.  What happens when this deprecated setting is removed?

View solution in original post

EdHansberry
Level 8

I'll have to try toggling, but it will require turning on depreciated features. I'll give this ago this weekend.

EdHansberry
Level 8

I tried toggling but it didn't work. The data icon showed up when I enabled both the "Improved Data Source Experience..." and "Relational Data..." depreciated features, but once I saved, closed, and reopened the app then disabled those features, it went away again.

Do these have to be left on? Why do I need to enable a depreciated feature and what happens when this depreciated feature vanishes?

Super User
Super User

@EdHansberry 

My testing showed that the settings must be left on, not simply toggled.  +1 for your concerns about deprecated features.

Highlighted
Crmlady
Level: Power Up

Historically, the "configuration" team would add icons to any custom entities. There is also a bit of a disconnect between the developer focused OOB team and the functional mindset. Branding the application tends to fall in a functional mindset "configuration over developer".  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,019)