cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerAWantabe
Frequent Visitor

Data Types confuse me

I am getting a message when I add statement below that mentions invalid argument type.

UpdateContext({varDateError2:If(ddNumberofDays>txtDaysDiff,true,false)});

ddNumberofDays is selection from a dropdown. 

txtDaysDiff is difference between these dates from date pickers computed from expression below.

DateDiff(dpFromDate,dpToDate,Days)+1

I know my data type are different but not sure how to fix. Thank you in advance for your advice. 

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerAWantabe ,

You should just need this

UpdateContext(
   {
      varDateError2:
      Value(ddNumberofDays.Selected.Value) > Value(txtDaysDiff.Text)
   }
);

You need to turn both text items to numbers and you do not need the If/true/false as this is inferred.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerAWantabe ,

You should just need this

UpdateContext(
   {
      varDateError2:
      Value(ddNumberofDays.Selected.Value) > Value(txtDaysDiff.Text)
   }
);

You need to turn both text items to numbers and you do not need the If/true/false as this is inferred.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

PowerAWantabe
Frequent Visitor

Hi Warren, thank you so very much for your prompt response and guidance. That worked perfectly. I will definitely look at your blog as I am looking for resources on how to write expressions and learn syntax. In many cases I know what I want to do but being new to Power Apps, I get hung up with syntax and how to write expressions. 

Best Regards,

Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (3,092)