cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ACPBSCi
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data from Details Screen not loading to Edit Screens

Hi. I can't seem to find the exact answer to what I'm looking for.

I have an app that works fine except when I try to edit an existing record via the Detail screen. On the Browse screen, I set my varRecord variable to this: Set(varRecord,ThisItem);Navigate(DetailScreen1, ScreenTransition.Cover). The pencil icon on the Detail screen has this code: LookUp('SharePoint List', ID=Value(varRecord.ID));Navigate(EditScreen1, ScreenTransition.Cover). This code works because when I select varRecord and click the dropdown, I see all the data stored in the variable. However, when I transition to the Edit screen, the data doesn't load.

The OnVisible of my Edit screens is set to varRecord. I don't have forms on each screen because I'm pulling data from an Excel spreadsheet, so each datacard stands alone. The patch populates my SharePoint list correctly. However, it would be nice for the users to go back into an existing record via the app to make changes. How do I get my record to populate?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ACPBSCi
Resolver I
Resolver I

That won't work because I don't have forms. I have a bunch of individual data cards pulling data from an Excel spreadsheet with this code: Sort(Distinct(Filter(Table3,'Account #' = ComboBox1_10.Selected.Result),'RM Name').Result,Ascending). So when I try to go from the Detail screen to the Edit screen, I need the existing record to populate each data card.

I'm not sure this is an easy fix. I might wimp out and just have them use the OOTB SharePoint form for edits.

View solution in original post

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@ACPBSCi 

I wouldn't say that was wimping out.  Excel sucks as a data source for PowerApps.  SharePoint is far better but has limitations too.  The best is Dataverse but that is a premium and if cost is a factor, your best bet would be SharePoint.  If you are set on using Excel, the best approach is to let PowerApps create an app from your data and using a gallery and two screens (detail and edit) to handle your data.  IMHO, you have chosen the most difficult and effort intensive way to proceed by trying to create custom forms from scratch. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@ACPBSCi 

Use the same formula in the detail form for the Item property of the edit form and take off the varRecord on the OnVisible property of the edit screen.

ACPBSCi
Resolver I
Resolver I

That won't work because I don't have forms. I have a bunch of individual data cards pulling data from an Excel spreadsheet with this code: Sort(Distinct(Filter(Table3,'Account #' = ComboBox1_10.Selected.Result),'RM Name').Result,Ascending). So when I try to go from the Detail screen to the Edit screen, I need the existing record to populate each data card.

I'm not sure this is an easy fix. I might wimp out and just have them use the OOTB SharePoint form for edits.

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@ACPBSCi 

I wouldn't say that was wimping out.  Excel sucks as a data source for PowerApps.  SharePoint is far better but has limitations too.  The best is Dataverse but that is a premium and if cost is a factor, your best bet would be SharePoint.  If you are set on using Excel, the best approach is to let PowerApps create an app from your data and using a gallery and two screens (detail and edit) to handle your data.  IMHO, you have chosen the most difficult and effort intensive way to proceed by trying to create custom forms from scratch. 

ACPBSCi
Resolver I
Resolver I

Excel is our temporary data source until we are able to connect to a dynamic source of truth, such as SalesForce or SAP. But, we have hoops to jump through first. In the meantime, we kludge together a solution. Looking back, I would have rebuilt the whole thing from scratch, but we retooled an existing app that used SharePoint as a data source.

Live and learn.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

<
Users online (2,960)