cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheetalbhatt
Level: Powered On

Data lost from screen when internet fluctuates

I have an app in which is loading a fair amount of data, and user inputs data into screens but sometimes app is not working when internet is coming in 10 sec going in 10 second so user feels like connecting the app and reconnecting the app. even the data are lost whatever they added so they are unable to work in such scenario.

I am already storing data offline but when User submit input then only data will be saved or else entered data lost when internet fluctuates.

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Data lost from screen when internet fluctuates

When you say your are storing data offline I assume you mean LoadData and SaveData functionality.  But I suspect you are following the standard article on building an Offline app that uses a time to determine whether the App is online or not. I suspect that in your case the Internet fluctuates too much for that to be a viable option.  Instead I would modify your app to always run in Offline mode and then simply put something in the submit button that checks if the app is online and submits changes if it is and then goes back to Offline.  That way the data will always be stored in the collection and the collection will only be cleared if the app is online when you try to save.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
sheetalbhatt

Hi,

Thanks for this suggestion, i have few questions on that:

1. How to set app to always run in Offline mode?

2. How to put something in the submit button that checks if the app is online and submits changes if it is and then goes back to Offline?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

1) The App is in Offline mode if everything you do runs against local collections instead of remote data sources.  The data sources load/refresh on demand IF a connection is available.  You can check the status of the connection using Connection.Connected, which will return true if the cloud is reachable.

2) Use an If() statement that tests Connection.Connected and submits the changes to the Cloud if its true, but leaves them in the local collection if they aren't.

Take a look at the following article.  It explains how to do an offline app.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/offline-apps

sheetalbhatt

Hi,

we already implemented this what you have suggested. the issue is Internet gets fluctuate very often lets say after every 5 second and due to that user is unable to work on form. whenever app gets reconnected whatever data user has added he just lost them.

how to manage such thing? is there any option where we can just set something so PowerApps itself wont try to connect internet again?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

If all the work is done on offline collections then it won't matter to the user whether the internet fluctuates or not.  But sooner or later they need to save their work back to the cloud.  At that point the data goes from the local collection to the cloud and the user isn't working directly on that data anymore.  But if the Internet is always as unreliable as you say then you won't be able to use PowerApps.  Building an App to work Offline is so that you can continue to use the app where the Internet is unreliable until you get to a place where it is reliable.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,647)