cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie_K

Data source is an imported excel sheet - Unable to Edit fields in ChangeForm Screen

Hello all, I am a beginner user of power apps and walking myself through the microsoft modules (eg. "create a canavas app in power apps") to learn.  I keep getting stuck on the ChangeForm screen - the app will not let me edit fields.  I am wondering if this is because my data source is a static excel spreadsheet in a personal LAN folder?  Does it need to be in a cloud-based storage location for this feature to work? Are there settings I need to change on the spreadsheet to allow power apps to write to the xls?  I don't currently have access to my company's cloud-based storage to save the excel sheet like the instructions say to do.  

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Julie_K ,

If you import data from Excel into the app, there is no way of saving it as anything you change will be lost when you close the app. In the case of Excel, you can store the file on your OneDrive (company), format the required data as a table and then link to that as a Data Source.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @Julie_K 

Yes, you're correct. Static Excel spreadsheets are non-editable.

If you want to edit an Excel data source from an app, you'll need to store it somewhere like OneDrive.

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Julie_K ,

If you import data from Excel into the app, there is no way of saving it as anything you change will be lost when you close the app. In the case of Excel, you can store the file on your OneDrive (company), format the required data as a table and then link to that as a Data Source.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Thanks @WarrenBelz!  I was afraid this was the case....at least now I know what I need to learn about next...off to figure out my company's cloud-based storage options and data services.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,935)