cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MShelnutt
Helper V
Helper V

DataCardValue1 needs to pull data from another SharePoint source column

I have a PowerApp form (called RMA) that has a field (called CC#) that I need to automatically pull a number from a different SharePoint list (Customer Complaint) than the data source for the form (RMA List).  The data is an automatic number generated for every entry in the SharePoint list (Customer Complaints), so the first entry is 1, the second is 2, etc.. 

How can I do this?

17 REPLIES 17

@RandyHayes The first PowerApp writes to the Customer Complaint SharePoint list, at such time, SharePoint is auto generating the ID#.  Then the second PowerApp is launched and has a field for CC#, which is the ID# of the first SharePoint list.  I want that second PowerApp to retrieve the ID# of the first SharePoint list using the CC# field of the second PowerApp form, and then when the user submits that second PowerApp, it will write all that form information (including the CC# aka ID#) into the second SharePoint list.

MShelnutt_0-1610051291384.png

Waiting for the crowd's reaction...

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@MShelnutt 

So that kind of takes us back to the original problem (crowd sighs) - you have no connection when creating the RMA back to the original CC.

When you're in your second app, how can we determine the ID of the CC?

Ideally you would do all of this in the same app so that you can just use the ID of the last submitted CC.

I am missing what happens in your message between these two sentences:

...generating the ID#. Then the second PowerApp is launched...

What would someone launch another PowerApp for?  Wait for it...the back of my mind is calling...this is that bit with the whole 3 buttons thing - ah yes!

Okay, so then why not create the RMA record at the time of submit from the first app and fill in all the relevant information from the CC to the RMA record.  Then launch the RMA app passing in the ID of the RMA record in the URL.  Then you could just launch into the edit form for that record?

Or, with that same concept, at least pass the ID of the CC to the RMA app and then use it there to populate the CC# field?

Otherwise, I don't see any way to tie back from the RMA to the CC.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

@RandyHayes  This is what I am wanting to accomplish-

"Or, with that same concept, at least pass the ID of the CC to the RMA app and then use it there to populate the CC# field?"

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@MShelnutt 

This reflects back on this post you had.

I believe it was there that you were trying to do the launch off of the button.  That is where you would want to pass the ID of the CC to the RMA application as part of the URL.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

@RandyHayes Hmm... what would that look like?  I dont think I know how to make the URL carry that field information.  The field information (ID#) would change, but the URL would not(?)

Can I achieve what I want with Power Automate instead?  Maybe that would be easier?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@MShelnutt 

So looking back over the prior thread, in that one we put a formula in the OnSuccess action of the form to determine if we needed to launch, so in that formula:

Launch("URLForOtherApp&ID=" & Text(Form1.LastSubmit.ID))

This will pass the ID to the next app in the URL.

Then in the RMA app, first look at the Param and navigate as needed.

For example, in the OnStart of the RMA app:

If(Value(Param("ID") > 0, Navigate(theRMAFormScreen))

Then in the CC# Default property of the Input Control in the datacard:

Coalesce(Text(Parent.Default), Param("ID"))

@RandyHayes Update.  I found a video on how to connect two data sources to a PowerApp.  I connected both the SharePoint lists to this PowerApp.  And for my one field (CC#), I want it to auto populate what is listed in the most recent ID column of my Customer Complaint SharePoint list.  Currently, I have the Default set to ThisItem.ID (not sure if this is pulling from the correct SharePoint list though), and Items is set to 'Customer Complaints 21'.ID

Any ideas or suggestions?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@MShelnutt 

So are you then combining the two apps into one now?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,355)