cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Database Design, Normalizing tables, and pre-loading the data and Choice Field storage size and Technic

Scenario:

Option A – the Data that can be defined as Choice Field in the Main-list

OptA-MainTable.png

Option B – Divide it into two columns in a new list then the Code column can be defined in the Main-list so for presenting the form, can use lookup and fetch the corresponding description of the items.

OptB-nTables.png

(Suppose that Table1 to Table10 have different size and in a text file, totally they are around 300KB) - During the users' filling-up the forms, the description of the items should appear beside the entered codes, so for every entered code, it should make a lookup request. Also maybe you suggest to me to make a data collection and download all data in the form, while the screen is loading. Inline Question: Up to how much data size, it is good to download all data to the client PCs? (The platform is Power Apps)

Question:

Now, I would like to know/make sure in Option A because we used the Choice field, the SharePoint will normalize the Main-Table automatically and will reduce the storage size, and we reduced the number of data connection, therefore in client-side (especially in low bandwidth connection), the user gains more performance as well as easier programming. Is it a correct database design? What is your solution? (Last Question: Simply when we have a Choice Field that the size of one item is 200 Chars, Does SharePoint use 200 Char size for each time that is used in the records?)

I would appreciate it, if you divide your answers to individual questions, such as Inline question answer, main Question, and last question and design question.

Thank you in advance for your kind suggestion and spending time.😉

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Database Design, Normalizing tables, and pre-loading the data and Choice Field storage size and Technic

Hi,

Looking through your topic here, this might be a little to advance and specific for a communities topic. You might have better luck if you slim this down a bit or if you would instead like to create a ticket to Microsoft Support. They should also be able to handle your question. I'll include a link if you would like to go down that route. Otherwise if any other communities members might know feel free to chime in.

If you would like to create a ticket with Microsoft Customer Support here is a link on how to do so: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/get-help-support

Regards,

Alex

-------

Community Support Team _ Alex Rezac
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Re: Database Design, Normalizing tables, and pre-loading the data and Choice Field storage size and Technic

Thank you for your proper advice. 👍 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,807)