cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
espan88
Helper I
Helper I

Database selection - which one to select?

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to apologize in advance if my question is very generic or obvious. 

I was given a task to build application that will check, based on provided inputs and connection/relationship schema, the validity of the records. I have documents which are in relationship with other doc, once new/revised document is uploaded I'd like to see the relationship and the overall impact and address those changes on the other documents. As example see below diagram:

espan88_1-1622575154033.png

Documents #1 are in relationship with Applicable documents #2. But sometimes Document from group #1 may refer to another document from group #1. Whenever new revision of document #1 or document #2 is issued, I'd like to see all documents which need to be revised/updated.  

My questions is what database would you prefer to use to point those changes?

Kind regards,

J

6 REPLIES 6
CNT
Super User
Super User

@espan88 From your scenario, you need a database that can handle Many-to-Many relationships graciously.

Dataverse is a data platform that's baked into the Power Platform. It's more than a database as it handles lot of things like security, scalability etc., automatically.

Dataverse handles Many-to-Many relationships very well and also hides much of the complexity.

I would suggest to get a basic schema sketched out and then start putting in your relationships.

Hope this intro helps!

CNT
Super User
Super User

@espan88 Just checking if you need more help! 

Please remember to give a 👍 and accept the solution as it will help others in the future.

espan88
Helper I
Helper I

@CNT  I've never built database with many-to-many relations. Probably I need wrap my mind around this task now 🙂

@espan88M-to-M is quiet simple in Dataverse, the data platform that comes along with the Power Platform. If you have some thing more concrete, let me know and we could try and build it.

espan88
Helper I
Helper I

@CNT As of now, I don't know where I should start 😐. I'd like to start with raw data, so it can be imported to DB but i don't know how to construct input files. If Doc#1 list with names and revision numbers in one table and for Doc#2 same? Build the relation?

Doc#1 (A) -> Doc#2 (A)

-> Doc#2 (B)

-> Doc#2 (C)

-> etc

@espan88 A good and simple place to start would be Excel. Just make a Excel Table with the columns you need and put in some test data. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,263)