cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taken
Frequent Visitor

Database switch SQL

Hello Experts!

Not Sure if this question was asked earlier. I wanted to check if we have a solution or workaround to my query. 

I have a SQL Database(ON-Prem) and a backup of it(ON-Prem). the PowerApp canvas is connected to Primary Database. if the Gateway on Primary Database is down or not responding, is there a way we can switch the Database to Backup connection automatically?if so how do we proceed about this?  how to check if Primary database is up and switch to Alternative Database if not. 

thank you in advance 😊

2 REPLIES 2
PaulD1
Super User
Super User

I think you probably need a chat with a DBA regarding high-availability/failover where one server can automatically take over from another if it fails (this does not take long to set up if you know what you are doing), but the connection details remain the same. I believe if this is correctly configured you would not need to modify your App (or anything else that connects to the database).

AFAIK you can't dynamically change connections. If you have two connections in the App (with IF statements for every data interaction to point to either the primary or backup server), or have two copies of the App (one with each connector) how would your App (or your users) know which one they should be using at a given time?

taken
Frequent Visitor

thank  you!  let me explore the failover part here and see how it works.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Government Carousel

New forum: GCC, GCCH, DoD - Federal App Makers (FAM)

In response to the unique and evolving requirements of the United States public sector, Microsoft has created Power Apps US Government.

Users online (5,411)