cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhicks
Frequent Visitor

Datacard fields not always pre-populating

I have a PowerApp that uses a SharePoint list as a backend. I have some data cards (not always the same ones cause the problem) that are blank when editing an existing list item. A page refresh usually fixes the issue, but obviously I don't want to tell users to watch for these fields and refresh if they didn't auto-populate.

Things to note about the PowerApp/SharePoint:

- The main list that powerapp is pulling only has 1 lookup column, the rest are normal data fields, but the powerapp has a connection to smaller "maintenance" lists to use for selection on creating new list entries (i.e. Department in the main list is just text, but on creation in the PowerApp the Department dropdown is populated from a small list of departments in SharePoint. However, sometimes the text Departments field doesn't populate when editing that existing list item)

- There is quite a bit going on in the OnStart or OnVisible triggers of the detail/edit screen (not sure what is considered too much for those triggers to possibly miss data)

- While there is only 1 lookup column in the main list the form pulls from there are alot of Lookup() calls in the app code. Would that cause an app to not populate the Default value of some fields pulling from an existing item?

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Check your advanced settings for the app.  There are a number of features that control the load time.  For example, to speed load time there is a setting that tells the app it doesn't have to wait for OnStart to finish before displaying the screen.  That and other settings could be causing the behavior you are seeing.

image.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
jhicks
Frequent Visitor

@Pstork1 I have Delayed Load and Use non-blocking OnStart rule both set to On. One thing to mention is the app has 2 screens. A worklist and a details screen. There is code to look at the URL and if the query string passes an ID it will open the details screen to an exact item. The worklist screen always works fine, the details screen is the screen that sometimes doesn't pull all the list items defaults. And the detail screen doesn't have OnStart, just OnVisible.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I would turn both of those off and try again.  The way your app is setup it sounds like everything needs to be loaded prior to trying to display either screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (2,021)