cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sasrsc
Resolver II
Resolver II

Datasources and Collections basic question

With more complex power apps consuming multiple data sources and where relationships exist between the data sources it almost seems inevitable to me that you'll need to use collections (and probably multiple collections). This just creates extra complexity in the app to allow for the necessary UI. I realize I'm making a general statement.

1) But if I'm correct, that immediately solves the problem of delegation as you can let the data sources flow in all the data and then perform the filters on the collections (which if I understand correctly don't have delegation concerns). 

2) But that seems to me that if you then need to change a value in a variable that you are looking at on the screen and that value is being shown through a collection then it means most likely you have to update the data source in the original table and possibly the collection as well - am I right? 

3) I suppose I can force a refresh of the source data tables but I'm wondering about the performance of that. Thoughts.

I realize that's a high level question but does anyone have any experience with these more complex scenarios.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

1) Using Collections doesn't solve the problem of delegation because you still have to get the values into the collection from the online data source.  Get that data can take substantial time if its a large data source.

2) Yes, using a local collection means changing things in both places.   It also makes it difficult if the data needs to be shared between multiple users because each person will be making changes to their local collections.  Updates will only really be shared when people load the data the first time.  As mentioned in #1 that can take a substantial amount of time so you wouldn't do it for every change.

3) See #1 and #2.  Refreshing the data source in this case will be minimized to improve performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@sasrsc 

Basically, for maximal efficiency the datasource should be able to handle millions of records with maximum delegatable functions and operators. Only SQL and CDS meet those requirements. This minimizes the need for collections.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

1) Using Collections doesn't solve the problem of delegation because you still have to get the values into the collection from the online data source.  Get that data can take substantial time if its a large data source.

2) Yes, using a local collection means changing things in both places.   It also makes it difficult if the data needs to be shared between multiple users because each person will be making changes to their local collections.  Updates will only really be shared when people load the data the first time.  As mentioned in #1 that can take a substantial amount of time so you wouldn't do it for every change.

3) See #1 and #2.  Refreshing the data source in this case will be minimized to improve performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,382)