cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaimé

Dataverse for Teams - Power Automate license needed to access Dataverse?

Hi fellas,

Assuming I am building an app with Dataverse for Teams...

This PowerApps app has a flow that updates records in the same Dataverse for Teams environment.

Do I need to assign standalone Power Automate licenses to users that will use this app (as it will use the Premium Dataverse connector)? Or are the O365 licenses covering this scenario...

My hope is that, in the context of a Flow that runs in a Dataverse for Teams app, the connector to interact with this contextual Dataverse for Teams data is not Premium....

Am I dreaming?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Both Power Apps and Power Automate interaction with Dataverse for Teams is included in the Teams license.  Take a look at this excerpt from Power Apps and Power Automate licensing FAQs - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

Is there any new capability coming with Dataverse for Teams to Power Automate rights included with Microsoft 365?

Yes. With Dataverse for Teams, users now can build flows using Power Automate maker portal and that operate in a Dataverse for Teams environment. Please note that a Dataverse for Teams environment needs to be created first by either authoring an app or chatbot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

If the Power App and the flow are both created in the Teams environment and make use of Dataverse for Teams (as opposed to regular Dataverse) then the Team license will cover both usages for all users.

Thanks for your answer! 

So you confirm that interacting with Dataverse for Teams data from a flow created in the sames Dataverse for Teams environment does not require standalone plan?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Both Power Apps and Power Automate interaction with Dataverse for Teams is included in the Teams license.  Take a look at this excerpt from Power Apps and Power Automate licensing FAQs - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

Is there any new capability coming with Dataverse for Teams to Power Automate rights included with Microsoft 365?

Yes. With Dataverse for Teams, users now can build flows using Power Automate maker portal and that operate in a Dataverse for Teams environment. Please note that a Dataverse for Teams environment needs to be created first by either authoring an app or chatbot.

View solution in original post

Jaimé

Perfect thanks for the clarification!

rohitjadhav123
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Jaimé, I am going thru same scenario as you are. It looks like even though A user / maker does not need Power Automate license, user might need to have Power App 'Per use plan' license since you are using one of the premium connectors which is DataVerse for Teams.

Basically flow license is covered under 'Dataverse for Teams', but when we use premium connector with any Dataverse for Teams app, maker / user needs to have Power app license.

At least, this is what I face in my scenario. Thoughts?

That is true.  The trick is that a Dataverse database is normally a premium connector.  But if its created through the Power Apps client in Teams then its covered by the Teams license inside Teams and does not need a premium license.  That was the scenario here.

If you create the flow directly in the Power Automate for teams client it will need a premium license.  But if you create the flow using the Power Apps for teams client it will not.

Hello @Pstork1 , I am little confused as I read this.

Example: In a Dataverse for Teams environment, accessing premium connectors in the context of an app requires all users accessing the app to be licensed by either the Power Apps per app or per user plan depending on the customer scenario.

That statement is true, but its in a section entitled "Can customers with Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power Virtual Agents subscriptions use premium connectors...".  User's with Power Apps and Power Automate licenses can use premium connectors anywhere.  But those aren't Office 365 licenses.  Accessing a Dataverse for Teams database within the confines of an app in Teams is not a premium connector.  Accessing a Dataverse database stored elsewhere does require a Premium connector.

Okay so in my case, end users do not have any subscriptions or licenses. They never used Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power Virtual Agents before.

I 'm the maker and I do have Power app 'Per user plan'. I went ahead and created Power App in Ms teams Team where all end users reside. So this must have created 'Dataverse for Teams environment' like you said above.

And now in this same app I created a flow (from Power App client in teams) which is leveraging Dataverse for teams connectors to interact with one of the table in same Teams Dataverse.

When my end-user access this app, will they need any sort of license? be it  Power App or Power Automate?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,306)