cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twarb
Frequent Visitor

Date/Time picker control & drop downs

Good morning,

I'm trying to build an app that writes to an Excel document so we can keep and print records of working hours on the fly.
My excel list has a column for "team leader" formatted into a drop-down with 3 choices under it- I was assuming that I could replicate this drop down menu in my powerapp as an input directly to the excel spreadsheet but on further inspection it seems as though the drop downs are only really used to filter and display data from a table, not as an input for said table. Is this correct? 

I was also trying to replicate the same thing with a date picker as an input but this seems to be the same case as before. 

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
TW

13 REPLIES 13
twarb
Frequent Visitor

Hi @AmDev - apologies for the late reply, I have been wrapped up in a few things.

My items property for the dropdown is as follows:

twarb_0-1638868135996.png

The column I am modifying in Excel is formatted to general cells yes.

I have also tried again using the exact coding from the Microsoft website and it's still sending me errors for reasons beyond me (see below) 

twarb_1-1638869186968.png

Any help is appreciated, I am totally lost!!!

Many thanks 
TW

Edit: I've changed from "Client" to "Team Leader" as they're two different columns and I thought that swapping columns may help  (it did not) and I've transferred the patch formula to a button for user friendliness. 

Hi @twarb 

Can you try this slight modification to your patch statement highlighted in red: .......Dropdown2.Selected.Value})

twarb
Frequent Visitor

Hi @AmDev 

I appear to have solved it with the following string:
Patch(Table3,Defaults(Table3),{'Team Leader': Dropdown2.SelectedText.Value})

Is there now a way to make the same button patch multiple sets of data into multiple columns?

Many thanks!
TW

AmDev
Super User
Super User

Hi @twarb - Great work, glad you got that working.

I would recommend kicking off another thread on the bulk patch operation

Also provide as much info as possible about exactly what it is you want to bulk patch i.e. assuming it's the same excel; is it just to create new items or to modify existing; is it all items in your table or is it just specific items that the user can select before hitting the button. Also, what info do you want to patch, is it dynamic based on user selection of another field or is it hard coded?

Many thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,307)