cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Date entry not required but getting error message when left blank

Short overview:

I want users to add items to a sharepoint list using an edit form within my App.  I have two date entries - "Open Date" and "Close Date". An Item can either be open or closed when adding to the list, because of this, I would like users to be able to leave the "Close Date" column blank, because their item is open and has not been closed yet. Both of the date columns are formatted as required = false. 

The error message that appears when leaving either date column empty is:  "Invalid date/time value - A date/time field contains invalid data. Please check the value and try again."

Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Excellent, so my thought about the Default was correct 🙂

Glad to have helped!

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II
Super User II

Hi!

Could you please share what your 'Default' property for each of these dates is? I'm thinking that the value its trying to fill when there is no item is a value that the list won't accept 🙂

Did you set the dates fields to non-required in both SharePoint and Power Apps?

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted

Thanks for the quick response! 

Both of the Data Cards are locked and the default property is set to "Parent.Default". 

The date columns are both set to non-required in SharePoint, and I have no problems adding an entry to my SharePoint list when the dates are left blank. 

Thanks, 

Highlighted

Ok interesting - and you don't get the issue when you enter both dates in?

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted

I just discovered the issue. It was the default value in my SharePoint list column settings. One of the default values was set to "Select a Date and Time" and the entered information was not an acceptable value. 

I changed the default value to "none" and I am no longer getting an error. 

Thank you for your help!

Highlighted

Excellent, so my thought about the Default was correct 🙂

Glad to have helped!

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,322)