Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

DateDiff Days Round Up Bug

Hi,

We've had some trouble with the DateDiff function when calculating the number of days remaining.  It looks like there is a bug.

It appears to take fractional parts of the days and if there is more than half a day remainder, round up the result, which looks like there is an extra day.

For example
DateDiff(DateTimeValue("02/03/2020 11:00 PM"),DateTimeValue("02/07/2020 10:00 PM"),Days) should equal 3 but returns 4

Looking at the hours, then dividing by 24

DateDiff(DateTimeValue("02/03/2020 11:00 PM"),DateTimeValue("02/07/2020 10:00 PM"),Hours) / 24 

returns 3.9~ which then gets upped to 4, which explains why the bug is occurring.

We worked around this bug by using a round down,

RoundDown(DateDiff(timeNow, expiryDate, Hours) / 24,0)

but it took a lot of investigation time.  It appears someone has already raised a similar defect with DateDiff around Years back in 2018 but it doesn't look like it was addressed.

To track down the bug we built a datatable in powerapps and compared different ways of calculating the date.  You can see for the dates with a fractional difference above 3.5, things get rounded up for DateDiff days (see the 2nd row and 4th last row)

screenshot.png

Whats the best way to lodge this as a bug?  I think having correctness shouldn't be a feature request

Best regards

Kon

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: DateDiff Days Round Up Bug

@kostasoul 

Thanks for your feedback.

I will submit this issue to PowerApps Team and hope it will be fixed in the next Update. If there is any update, I will post back.

Sik

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks Sik

If required I could provide a cut down app with just the datatable for testing.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Also discovered that calculations based on hours suffered the same issue (eg if there were greater than 2h 30m remaining), datediff hours would round up and show 3h remaining

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,010)