cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesM
Level 8

Datetime value returned from custom connector not able to be used in textbox?

I have a custom connector that returns the following: 

[
  {
    "LastHeardFrom": "2018-10-03T12:46:04.247"
  }
]

I pick this up in the visible property of my screen: 

Set(heartBeatDateTime,InSiteConnector.GetStoreHeartBeat({rowlimit:1,server:selectedServer,ordercol:"RowInsertDateTime",order:"DESC"}))

I then try to use the variable HeartBeatDateTime in my text property (with an IF statement) 

If(loadInSiteCheck,"",Text(heartBeatDateTime.LastHeardFrom))

But i get the error 'expected a text or numeric value'. I have tried wrapping it in Text() but no joy. Where am I going wrong? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Datetime value returned from custom connector not able to be used in textbox?

Hi @JamesM

I'm not exactly sure what GetStoreHeartBeat returns so I'm just guessing. If it returns multiple records, could you try the following syntax?

If(loadInSiteCheck,"",Text(First(heartBeatDateTime).LastHeardFrom))

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Datetime value returned from custom connector not able to be used in textbox?

Hi @JamesM

I'm not exactly sure what GetStoreHeartBeat returns so I'm just guessing. If it returns multiple records, could you try the following syntax?

If(loadInSiteCheck,"",Text(First(heartBeatDateTime).LastHeardFrom))

View solution in original post

Power Apps Staff CarlosFigueira
Power Apps Staff

In addition to what @timl mentioned (the custom API returns a table, so you need to specify one of the records to retrieve the 'LastHeardFrom' property, such as the First one), the format of the data that your API is returning is not a datetime value per the Open API specification (Data types section, which refers RFC 3339) - it's missing the time zone offset part ('Z' for UTC, or [+-]HH:MM for specific time zones), so PowerApps may not interpret it as a date/time value if it's defined in the Open API on the custom connector as such.

If you are having this problem, you have a couple of alternatives: either update the API to return the date/time value in the expected format, or update the custom connector specification to use string as the type of that property, and in PowerApps use the DateTimeValue function to convert that into a date/time value.

JamesM
Level 8

Thanks guys, this is solved. I needed to specify the record e.g. First(recordName).value as opposed to just recordName or value. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,048)