cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Dealing with % in input

Hello's,

I have an app with an input field restricted to just numbers. However I also want to stop users from putting in a % symbol as it just converts their value which is not desired once the form is submitted.

Is there a way to stop this input being allowed, or the best method to remove it before the form submits please?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Dealing with % in input

Whats the Update property of this control?

Is it DataCardValue7.Text?

Then replace it with the formula I suggested:

Substitute(DataCardValue7.Text, "%", "")

Let me know if this helps.

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
https://thepoweraddict.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

One of the ways to handle this is to use the Substitute function. If your field is in a TextInput field for example, you could do something like this:

Substitute(TextInput1.Text, "%", "")

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @PowerAddict, but this doesn't appear to work.

I've tried adding Substitute(DataCardValue7.Text, "%", "") to the OnChange property of the input box, which didn't work so I also tried having it on OnSelect property of the submit button such as Substitute(DataCardValue7.Text, "%", "");SubmitForm(form1) but this also still didn't work.

Possibly I'm doing this in the wrong place?

The input box format property is set to Number, not text

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Is this TextInput control within a form? Also, what are you using to submit this value to the data source? Is it SubmitForm or Patch?

---

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yep, the TextInput is inside a form. The Textbox is set to numbers only (but it still allows %) 

This submits to a sharepoint list using SubmitForm. (never used patch before)

Problem being is multiple users use this some record a % some record actual value. I am looking to only submit a number/value and I'll deal with % further down the line.

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Whats the Update property of this control?

Is it DataCardValue7.Text?

Then replace it with the formula I suggested:

Substitute(DataCardValue7.Text, "%", "")

---

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Perfect @PowerAddict thank you so much for your help. I would never have thought to look at that Update property! 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Glad I could help! Good luck with the rest of your app! Feel free to reach out in case of any questions!

Thanks,
Hardit Bhatia
The Power Addict
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@PAM-thrive 

I know this thread is already solved but would changing the Format property of the Text Input to Number be a valid solution here too?  This would ensure no letters or symbols would be allowed. 

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@mdevaney unfortunately that doesn't help.

The format is already set to Number, and this format does appear to support % symbol.

Interesting I tried to apply the same fix above, to another app that does similar things, but there is no "Update" property. From what I read this is somehow related to the tables unique identifier. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,399)