cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex93jansen
Helper II
Helper II

Deciding on an O365 E5 free Data Source

I'm working on a Desk Booking PowerApp for our organization while we're moving towards a hybrid work model. I already built the App but came to the realization we only have O365 E5 licensing, meaning the several users who don't have additional PowerApps licensing won't be able to use anything that relies on Premium connectors. I'm currently using SQL Server as my data source, so I'm looking to replace it with a non-Premium connector.

At the moment I have two SQL tables, with one storing desk information (about 100 records with 10 fields) and one storing actual desk bookings (expected 1000 records per month with 10 fields).

The following seem to be the main 'free' Data sources that are used:

• Dataverse: shows as non-Premium in PowerApps, but everything I've read about it so far states there will be additional costs involved.
  • SharePoint: Data source I'm leaning towards right now. The limited monthly number of records I need to store should not create major performance issues.
  • Excel Online: Usable, but seems to offer less delegatable functions and generally appears less suited than a Sharepoint List for use as a database.

Are these my main three options? Are there any services I'm forgetting about?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @alex93jansen ,

DataVerse is a Premium connector and Excel is (in my humble opinion) a waster of time if you have access to SharePoint. We have run a substantial office and field-based operation on SharePoint and as long as you plan your data structure properly, most things can be achieved. I have a blog that my interest you on this.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @alex93jansen ,

DataVerse is a Premium connector and Excel is (in my humble opinion) a waster of time if you have access to SharePoint. We have run a substantial office and field-based operation on SharePoint and as long as you plan your data structure properly, most things can be achieved. I have a blog that my interest you on this.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,375)