Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Re: Deep Link to Record

@Eelman 

@WarrenBelz 

Hi Eelman,

Good news! The app seems to be working correctly with the change of the Header Text property to "Project:  " & varRecord.'Request Summary Title'. It wasn't synching right after I first made the change, but later that night I tested the app and I tested it again this morning and it is working. The reason I had mentioned Microscope Mount yesterday afternoon was in case there was some kind of "LastSubmit" connection since usually if there is a mismatch, it is the first record in the SharePoint list showing up, not the latest record I worked on.

Because you asked, the OnSelect properties of my tabs are all like this sample from the Request tab. There is no reference to varRecord. As you can probably tell, the second part of the formula simply controls which icon is displayed based on the form mode.

Set(varFormTab, "Request"); If(frmRequestVE.Mode=FormMode.View,IconReqVEEdit,IconReqVESave)

The Visible property of the Request form is: varFormTab="Request". I follow the same model for the other forms.

I think I am good to go on the mismatched ID issue for now, I'll let you know if it rears its ugly head again. Next, I will work on trying out your Deep Link advice for the new and edit scenarios I'm working on.

Thank you very much!

Teresa

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@tagustin2020 

That's great to hear. Yep, sometimes PowerApps does some things that you can spend hours trying to troubleshoot only to save&close then re-open and BOOM! all fixed! It can be quite frustrating.

I now use a dev technique where I've tried everything I know and it should be working - I just save & close and re-open. Works a treat most times, haha.

Let us know if you get stuck again and happy PowerApp'ing 🙂 

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

@Eelman 

@WarrenBelz 

Hello,

Thank you so much for your advice. I was able to get the deep links working today. Here is a recap of what worked for any other folks who come across this post while trying to sort out deep links. You mentioned things that aren't in the tutorials I referenced below so they were key to my success. I can't thank you enough!

LINK TO NEW REQUEST FORM

Video recommendation: April Dunnam’s Deep Linking tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyxlYtzqTQ

Step 1: I went to the Details screen of my app and clicked on the url. I added &hidenavbar=true&DeepLink=NewRequestForm to the end of it.

Step 2: I went to the OnStart property of my app and entered:

If(Param(“DeepLink”)=”NewRequestForm”,Navigate(frmNewRequest),Navigate(Home Screen))

Things to be aware of:

• If you type your formula in Word first or try to copy/paste from some other source, note that PowerApps doesn’t translate Word doc quotation marks very well so you have to delete them in PowerApps and re-enter them in order for this to work.
  • Deep Links must also be entered at the start of the formula in order to work.
  • PowerApps is case sensitive.

Step 3: I went to my SharePoint site and created a new page. I entered a note into the default Text webpart and then added a “Call to Action” webpart. I inserted the deep link to the new form into the webpart and chose a stock image for the background.

LINK TO A SPECIFIC RECORD

Video recommendation: Shane Young's Deep Linking tutorial

Step 1: I modified the url to include &hidenavbar=true&varRecord= at the end of it.

Step 2: I added an email formula to the OnSuccess property of my form.

OnSuccess formula:

If(

Not(varProjectStatus = varNewProjectStatus),

Office365Outlook.SendEmailV2(

varUser.Email,

"Tool Support Design Request: " & txtRequestTitle.Text & " project status has changed",

"The status of your tool design support request has changed to " & varNewProjectStatus & ". Here is a <a href='https://apps.powerapps.com/play/myGUIDandtenantIDdeletedforprivacy&hidenavbar=true&ProjectID=

"& varRecord.ID & "'>link to the project</a>. Please check the Designer and Comments tabs for more details.",

{Importance: "High"}

)

)

Step 3: Enter the following formula into the OnStart property of the App:

Set(varProjectID,

Value(Param("ProjectID")));

If(varProjectID <> 0,

Set(varRecord,LookUp('Tool Design Support Requests',ID = varProjectID));

Navigate(EditScreen));

Things to be aware of:

• varRecord is set in the navigation arrow of my gallery - clicking the arrow takes you to the record. Here is the OnSelect formula: Set(varRecord,ThisItem);Navigate(EditScreen,Transition.None)
  • The Item property of my form is varRecord
  • The Text property formula of my header label on the Edit screen is: "Project: " & varRecord.'Request Summary Title'
  • My deep link variable was varProjectID, but you can name yours whatever you want

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Thanks @tagustin2020 Theresa,

One small thing you mentioned - I do all of my code "practice" in NotePad++ and do not have any issues with character translation.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@tagustin2020 

Well done on getting it working, this was a real challenge! Also, thank you for posting your solution back here, as you say, it will provide others with guidance if/when they go looking to use Deep Linking.

All the best.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,328)