cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biterbit
Advocate V
Advocate V

Delay when selecting item in gallery

I have a screen with a gallery and connected form. When I select an item in the gallery the form displays the data for that item. However, I am seeing a long delay (of about 15 seconds) between selecting the item and the form contents appearing. The gallery record also changes colour when the record is selected and this too does not change until after this delay.

To try to track down the reason for the delay I ran Monitor to see what was happening. But all I see is the UserAction which triggers the SelectParent action and then a long delay before it goes to get some data:

biterbit_0-1651853496110.png

I thought perhaps that the OnSelect action of the gallery was the issue, but I commented out all the code in this property and it made no discernible difference to the delay.

Is the information in the Monitor trace incorrect and, if so, is there another way to track down the reason for the delay?

4 REPLIES 4
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@biterbit 

I haven't seen this behavior in my apps.  Could you post the type of datasource as well as the Item property of your form? 

biterbit
Advocate V
Advocate V

@Drrickryp Thanks for the response. The data source is SharePoint. The form's Item property is:

galReferral.Selected

Where galReferral is the linked gallery.

Since posting this I noticed that the delay seems to be related to the number of items displayed in the gallery. The worst case is when the gallery contains all the list items (about 1000 rows); with only 5 items in the gallery (after filtering the list), the delay is reduced to 2-3 seconds. What I can't work out is what the gallery is doing before the selected item is displayed in the form.

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@biterbit 

I bet if your gallery uses a collection instead the list, it would solve the problem. You would need to change your item property to Lookup(splist, ID = GalReferral.Selected.ID)

@Drrickryp: I tried switching to a collection but, although the form load was marginally quicker, I still had a long delay between clicking on the gallery row and the data loading into the form. Again, the Monitor trace shows a 10-15 second delay between the selection of the row and the start of the form data load. This is also confirmed by looking at the Network activity in Developer Tools, where there is no activity until 10-15 seconds after the row is selected. With only a few records in the gallery it works fine, but with a lot of records the delay comes in. It's almost like it is taking that time to determine which record in the gallery has been selected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,283)