cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delegation Limits

Hi everyone,

I have been working with poerapps for quite a while now and I am aware that there are delegation limits with certain commands interacting with sharepoint lists. I am aware of ways to get around these limits and am already using many myself. Just wondered if anyone on the powerapps team could let me know why these limits first came about, is it a hardware limitation? or does performance depreciate after exceeding the limits?

If anyone know then that would be much appreciated 🙂

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Delegation Limits

I'm not with the PowerApps team, but the documentation says that when you increase the default limit of 500 to 2,000 (which is the maximum at this point) that performance degradation may occur.  From the Understand delegation in Canvas Apps article, "As you increase this number, your app's performance may degrade, ..."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview

So I would say its clearly based on performance.  Of course, faster networks and higher end hardware will allow the limit to be pushed higher so its also a hardware limitation.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I'm not with the PowerApps team, but the documentation says that when you increase the default limit of 500 to 2,000 (which is the maximum at this point) that performance degradation may occur.  From the Understand delegation in Canvas Apps article, "As you increase this number, your app's performance may degrade, ..."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview

So I would say its clearly based on performance.  Of course, faster networks and higher end hardware will allow the limit to be pushed higher so its also a hardware limitation.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

@MatthewInwards 

One thing to keep in mind - delegation and record limits are two completely different things, but are related.

Record limits determine the maximum number of records that can be "fetched" at one time.  If you have a list with 20 records in it, and a record limit of 50, then you will always get all records.  If you have a limit set to 10, then you will only get 10.  The lower your limit is, the more performance you will see, but, obviously, with impacts.

If you have a limit of 10 (let's pretend that is the maximum you can have) and need all 20, then you will have to devise a method to make multiple "fetches" to the data source and store them locally.

Delegation is like asking someone for something.  If someone has a collection of coins organized by coin type (nickles, dimes, etc.) and you ask for all the dimes, they will hand you a box of dimes.  If you can only carry 10 dimes (remember our pretend scenario above), then they will only give you 10 - you'll have to come back for more.  If you decide you want to have all the 2017 dimes, then if the coin collector will "support" that request, then they will give you back all the 2017 dimes.  If there are only 5, then you are in luck because you can carry them.  If they DON'T "support" giving you coins by year, then they will say "sorry, can't do that for you, but I can give you the whole box and you can find them yourself."  Okay, not a problem...but, we can only carry 10.

So, delegation - if we say, give me the 2017 dimes, they say can't do but here you go with all of them, and you can only take 10, then you will be looking (Filter) only through the 10 dimes...if you find one, that's great, but there might be more in the box that you didn't get because you didn't go back and get all the dimes.

So, in the PowerApps world - if we raise our maximum number to the max of 5000 we're now carrying back more data for any function that has to be done by us.  But, the pure fact that we have to do this Filter (or other non-delegable function) on our own means that the performance will suffer.

Remember, it would have been much easier and faster if the coin collector could have just given us the 2017 dimes...very fast.  If we now have to make several trips to carry the dimes back and then have to sort through them ourselves, it is going to take some time.

I hope this is a clear analogy and is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,413)