cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKrezymon

Delegation Warning with IF statement in Filter() function

Hi Power Community!

During building my last PowerApp I have encountered a problem that is quite painful because of the size of my dataset. I need to implement filters that simply filter the data source (SQL view) if cmbFilter.Selected is not blank, so firstly my code looked like this:
Filter(
'view_SampleData',
If(
cmbFilter.Selected.Result = Blank(),
true,
Result = cmbFilter.Selected.Result)
)
With formula like this I got Delegation Warning, so I tried to rebuilt it and I noticed that once I excluded IF statement from Filter() function the warning disappeared, so I ended with such a formula:
If(
IsBlank(cmbFilter.Selected.Result),
'view_SampleData',
Filter(
'view_SampleData',
Result = cmbFilter.Selected.Result)
)

The problem is that such a formula is hard to maintain if I have more filters, e.g. 5 filters. Do you have any ideas how can I handle this better?

Note: I have to filter data from data source, because if I Collect() data at app start and I adjust filters on created collection then I may not find the record that I am looking for, as Collect function will import only part (max 2000) records that may not include this particular record. I know that such a risk will still be there in case with filters adjusted I have still >2000 results, but at least this risk lower.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@MKrezymon 

Skip the collection!

Your formula should be:

Filter('view_SampleData',
    (IsBlank(cmbFilter.Selected.Result) || Result = cmbFilter.Selected.Result) 
)

Always avoid If statements in filter criteria.  You will get delegation warnings! 

As for additional filters, just add them in the same style.

Ex.

(IsBlank(cmbFilter.Selected.Result) || Result = cmbFilter.Selected.Result) &&
    (IsBlank(cmbOtherFilter.Selected.column) || dbField = cmbOtherFilter.Selected.column)
)

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@MKrezymon 

Skip the collection!

Your formula should be:

(IsBlank(cmbFilter.Selected.Result) || Result = cmbFilter.Selected.Result) 
)

Always avoid If statements in filter criteria.  You will get delegation warnings! 

As for additional filters, just add them in the same style.

Ex.

(IsBlank(cmbFilter.Selected.Result) || Result = cmbFilter.Selected.Result) &&
    (IsBlank(cmbOtherFilter.Selected.column) || dbField = cmbOtherFilter.Selected.column)
)

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza Winner Announcement

Please join us on Wednesday, July 21st at 8a PDT. We will be announcing the Winners of the Demo Extravaganza!

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,632)