cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delegation warning in combo box

Hello,

I have delegation warning when I try to make my cascading combobox work.

I have 2 SP lists named 'Access Application' and 'Access Area2', 'Access Area2' contains columns named Area1 and Area2 and ’Access Application' contains columns named Area and Area2.

I want to filter the column 'Area2' in 'Access Application' based on the value of column 'Area' but Area2 shows 'delegation warning,the search part of this formula might not work correctly on large data sets'.The item of column 'Area2' is Filter('Access Area2', Area1 = DataCardValue7.Selected.Value).

I also try to insert a dropdown to replace 'Area2', it works but I can't connect it with the column ‘Area2' on the SP online list so when people submit the form 'Access Application', the column 'Area2' is blank.

Here are the pictures.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Firstly, delegation warning is not error. So your formulas do not have any problem.

Let me tell you more about delegation.

Actually, delegation is powerapps itself limit.

PowerApps could only deal with at most 2000 records in local.

So when your record is larger than 2000, you app may not perform good, for example it will return wring result.

To avoid delegation's effect, there are two solutions:
1)only use delegateable data source and delegateable functions

Then the data could be dealt in data source, not in powerapps.

Here's a doc about delegateable functions of sharepoint list, plese modify your formulas based on this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sharepointonline/

2)save data in collection

In collection, there will not have delegation problem

If your record is smaller than 2000, then do not need to worry about delegation warning. It will not effect your app's performance.

Just need to change this limit to 2000:

delegation.jpg

Here's a doc about delegation in details for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Firstly, delegation warning is not error. So your formulas do not have any problem.

Let me tell you more about delegation.

Actually, delegation is powerapps itself limit.

PowerApps could only deal with at most 2000 records in local.

So when your record is larger than 2000, you app may not perform good, for example it will return wring result.

To avoid delegation's effect, there are two solutions:
1)only use delegateable data source and delegateable functions

Then the data could be dealt in data source, not in powerapps.

Here's a doc about delegateable functions of sharepoint list, plese modify your formulas based on this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sharepointonline/

2)save data in collection

In collection, there will not have delegation problem

If your record is smaller than 2000, then do not need to worry about delegation warning. It will not effect your app's performance.

Just need to change this limit to 2000:

delegation.jpg

Here's a doc about delegation in details for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. The cascading combobox seems to work correctly but when people submit the Access Application form, the column 'Area2' is blank.

DessieLad

If you replace the data source of the combo box with a collection then the search delegation warning will not show.

@DessieLad If you replace with the data source with a collection then you have to pull all the rows into the application before you can filter. Depending on the size of the record set that may be a heavy lift for the application. You also lose the power of pushing the filtering on the server side.

In my case, I have associated a combobox with a data source that has 600 rows. I also set the PowerApp limit to 2000 rows, yet I still see the delegation warning. I conclude that Power Apps only senses potential delegation issues not actual ones.

There needs to be a setting to dismiss this warning for developers that know what they are doing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,246)