cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bendd221
Helper I
Helper I

Delegation warning when trying to use Filter() and In functions on a sharepoint list while trying to create a "Search Box"

Hello!
I am relatively new to powerapps but this is the first time I had to come for help with an issue, so nice meeting you all!
I am currently trying to create a text input that the user can use to filter gallery items based on whatever he typed on the box.

Afterwards, it supposedly need to search for every list row that the contains their text in the Title column.

The problem is Im getting a delegation warning for the In command, specifying that it cannot be used on the column named Title.

I attached the picture of the problematic line and the warning.

In was the only ward that was marked as blue.

Is there any reason why both filter and in, that are supposed to be fine with delegation are giving me this warning?
Is there anyway to bypass it?

Thank you very much and sorry for any grammatical errors as I am not a native english speaker!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I now have your code (received while I was replying to the last one)

As before the default of TextInput1 is "".

Items of gallery would be
Sort(
     Filter(
          HelpDesk,
          StartsWith(
          Title,
          TextInput1.Text
         )
     ),
     Created,  
     Descending
)

View solution in original post

@bendd221 

Unfortunately, searching through the entire Title is not possible without a delegation warning when using a SharePoint list.  Its currently a limitation of the PowerApps.  See my link in the post above 😞

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @bendd221,

Although In seems to be documented as delegable, I get the same delegation warning when using it.

Try StartsWith(yourcolumn, yoursearchbox,Text). 

Make sure the default in the Search Box = "". It should display all items if the box is blank then progressively show content starting with the input

mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@bendd221 

Can you please share your code in the Items property of MyTicketsScreenGallery?  Delegation warnings can appear based on how a formula is written so this information is important to know.

In the meantime here's a link to the list of SharePoint column types and functions that can be delegated in SharePoint.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/sharepoint-delegation-improvements/

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Wait, for some reason it did not attach the photo of the code
Basically:
IssuePA.PNG
Thanks!

Thanks for replying!
See, the issue is that I need it to find the lists based on free text located *anywhere* on the title, not exclusively on the start of it..

Hi @bendd221,

I will call your search box SearchTitle, the data source MyList and I am assuming the field you are searching is Title (although I try to avoid using this one).

The items property of the gallery would be Filter(MyList,StartsWith(Title,SearchTitle.Text)). The default of SearchTitle needs to be "".

@bendd221 

The best that can be done while using a SharePoint list changing this code

TextInput.Text1 in Title

Into this code

Filter(Helpdesk, StartsWith(Title, TextInput1.Text))

I use the workaround above because the SEARCH function and IN operators will both give delegation warnings while using a SharePoint list as a datasource.  In my opinion it is one of the major limitations right now.  To use SEARCH without the limits you would have to switch to CDS or SQL but that would require a premium license so its usually a non-starter.

The only other idea is to increase your delegation limit to 2,000 rows in the advanced settings.  Then you can safely ignore the warnings if you have less than 2,000 rows in the SharePoint list.

SharePoint delegation documentation for your reference:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/sharepoint-delegation-improvements/

---

I now have your code (received while I was replying to the last one)

As before the default of TextInput1 is "".

Items of gallery would be
Sort(
     Filter(
          HelpDesk,
          StartsWith(
          Title,
          TextInput1.Text
         )
     ),
     Created,  
     Descending
)

Hey, this one works but as I mentioned on the last message, does not work as I want it to.

I want it to search all through the title, not only on the beginning of it. thats why I need the "in" argument.

But I just couldnt get it to work without delegation

@bendd221 

Unfortunately, searching through the entire Title is not possible without a delegation warning when using a SharePoint list.  Its currently a limitation of the PowerApps.  See my link in the post above 😞

---

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,836)