Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelBL
Helper II
Helper II

Delete powerapps owner

Quick question,

If I create a powerapp, using my own account to set it up with connections and all, what will happen if I leave the company, and my account is either deleted or disabled?

- Michael

5 REPLIES 5
eka24
Super User
Super User

What you can do is to export the App, then Import it to your own environment and continue to use it as new App:

https://youtu.be/XeMj0Ywf3UM?t=48

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

iAm_ManCat
Super User
Super User

Hi @MichaelBL

Your company should have policies and procedures in place to deal with governance, which will include transferring ownership of the App to another user in the event of your leaving. This can be achieved using the Centre of Excellence Starter Toolkit's add-on for transferring ownership or can be done using Power Automate using the Power Platform admin connectors, or can be done via PowerShell.

Ideally if you want the App to be person-independent you should create it from a service account and then grant editing rights to other users (such as your own account), this is what I consider best practice for App Building.

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Thank you for replying.

I understand that adding additional owners will make sure, that someone can actually still open and edit the app.

The question is, is the app itself dependent on the original owners account? Meaning will the app stop functioning as intended if the owner account is disabled or deleted?

Lest say I add a service account as co-owner and the delete the original owner, what happens then?

My understanding was, that once the connections in the app is are established, they are open on a user basis, meaning that if the user has access to the connection source, the app will work fine.

The app itself is not dependent on the original account, it's based on the user that's actively accessing/creating the app.  Your understanding is correct, the connections rely on the user credentials/security.

You can use PowerShell commands to change the owner but exporting/importing in my experience as mentioned by @eka24 is the more reliable way to do it especially if solutions are involved.

Hi Rivius,

Thank you for replying.

Yeah I thought as much.

Do you know of any Microsoft documentation where this is confirmed?

Best regards,

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,361)