cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AEngleking
Helper I
Helper I

Dependent Allowed Values in Collection Gallery?

I have created an order form with a collection that is showing in a Gallery. In the Collection, I would like to create some dependent Allowed Value functions in a couple of the input boxes. There is no control type list where I can choose the allowed values control, I assume it is since these text boxes are inside the gallery. An example of what I want to do: A user could select either (Top, Casework, Joinery, or Other) in the Top input, and depending on their selection, it will determine what the allowed values are in description. Example: if Top is selected in Type, then it will allow to select either (Square Top, Round Top, etc.) in Description, but if Joinery is selected in Type, then the user could choose from (Credenza, Waterfall, etc.). I have added screenshots below. 

Another thing I was wanting to know, is there I could change the Total Item Cost input to where it could add the sum of the Base Cost, Wood Cost, Material Cost, Labor Cost, and Other Costs, without changing the default of the formula so the value would still transfer to the Collection?

3 REPLIES 3
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @AEngleking 

If I understand you correctly, you would like to have a dropdown control that gives some choices.  For example,  set the Items property  of a dropdown control to 

["Top", "Casework", "Joinery", "Other"]

to give the user the choice.  For short lists of choices, I prefer to use a Radio control since the user can see the options right away.  The same formula above will populate a radio control as well. If you already have a list that contains both the Type and Description. 

The setup for having a second control depend on another control is called "Cascading controls".  There are quite a number of posts about how to do this but in essence you would need your list to also contain the name of the Top that is related to the description.  An example would be list called Countries_Cities with columns for Countries and Cities  You would show the Countries in one dropdown and filter the City list by the first dropdown. 

Filter( Countries_Cities, Country=Dropdown1.Selected.Country)

Great. I got that part to work, but now the the save function isn't working. The error message reads: "The type of this argument 'Type' does not match the expected type 'Text'. 

@AEngleking 

It should be Type:Dropdown3.Selected.Value

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (49,636)