Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poweruser1101
Helper II
Helper II

Deploying Embedded Canvas apps

Hi All,

I am trying to deploy the embedded canvas app solution to another environments however getting the below issues -

Steps i followed for deployment -

• Created a solution and added the canvas app and the entity and respective form on which the canvas app is placed in the solution
  • Deployed the solution via Azure pipeline using export and import solution step

Issues -

1) The App owner in the destination environment is an random 'application user' instead of the 'system deployment user'. The pipeline runs through the deployment user so not sure why the App owner is an application user?
2) Also it generated a new App id after deployment so i had to again modify the form properties to point to the correct appid

Is there a way to keep the Appid constant accross all environments so modifying the form would not be required everytime?

3) In the destination environment again i had to share the app with all users, is there a way through which i do not need to share the app after it is deployed in the next environment?

The above issues becomes a problem if the app needs to be moved to several environments cos then the form will need to be modified again and even sharing needs to be done again 

Kindly suggest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Poweruser1101 :

Let me exlpain these questions one by one:

Issue1:I am not sure what issue1 means. But what is certain is that if a user imports the package of an APP in "Create New" way, then he will be the owner of this APP.

Issue2:The APP ID is automatically generated.If you want to import an APP into a new environment, it is actually equivalent to creating a new APP in this new environment. Then this APP Id is randomly generated. 

Issue3:The APP needs to be shared to all users again. But this is very easy to operate, just search "All" in the input box, you can share it with everyone at once.

1.JPG

Best Regards,

Bof

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Poweruser1101 :

Let me exlpain these questions one by one:

Issue1:I am not sure what issue1 means. But what is certain is that if a user imports the package of an APP in "Create New" way, then he will be the owner of this APP.

Issue2:The APP ID is automatically generated.If you want to import an APP into a new environment, it is actually equivalent to creating a new APP in this new environment. Then this APP Id is randomly generated. 

Issue3:The APP needs to be shared to all users again. But this is very easy to operate, just search "All" in the input box, you can share it with everyone at once.

1.JPG

Best Regards,

Bof

View solution in original post

Poweruser1101
Helper II
Helper II

@v-bofeng-msft Thank you for the information. Agree to your points

Found out that the app name remains same even after migration (through solution import in azure pipeline), hence will be using the app name instead of the app id so that the overhead of modifying the app id on the form is removed.

Also agreed that the app needs to be shared again with all users. trying to find to out if this can be accomplished via Azure pipeline.Please do comment if you have an idea about it.

Accepting your answer since it helped clear my questions.Thank you again for providing the information.

TrutzStephani
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Poweruser1101,

How did you embed the canvas app? Using the SDK or using the Canvas App control that exists in the form editor? The latter let's me only provide the app id and not a name. The solution using the name is more deployment friendly, but how did you achieve it? 

daniuosagi
Frequent Visitor

I have the same question as TrutzStephani, the Canvas App Control requires the app id.  The app name is there but it's optional.  I'm curious how did the you manage to only use the app name?  That will help a lot for the community.

daniuosagi
Frequent Visitor

Here is the update, as long as supplying the App name, the App ID can be ignored or filled in a empty guid (00000....00000)

Please check below link Point 4. for complete answer.

https://linnzawwin.blogspot.com/2019/12/power-apps-new-improvements-in-embedded.html

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,044)