cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper V
Helper V

Design complex forms in SharePoint Online with customizations - Is powerapps a best approach

I am designing a form in SharePoint Online, where the form has three kind of users.

1. Requestor – Can create new event from the Create New Request page. Some form fields required to be auto-populated like logged-in user and some form fields need to have auto-complete on, based on previous value entered.

2. Moderator – Can blacklist the event, by clicking on the blacklist button in the form. If the organizer is blacklisted, requestor cannot add-in the same organizer again in the New Request page. It should show alert.

3. Approver - Should approve the request. All form fields should be set to shaded/read only.

I explored powerapps as one of the possible solution, however have some queries. Using PowerApps and flow – Since the form has lot of customizations, like on button click, should blacklist the event and show alerts. Should show certain fields based on permissions. Each dept users should see their own VP, as a approver in dropdown. I am not sure whether this can be done in PowerApps, as its usually a no-code solution. Small JavaScript’s I wont be able to execute, unless depending on Spfx framework which is complex.

NewForm.aspx

pic1.pngpic2.png

Any technical advice if powerapps would be an ideal way to deisgn such complex form with SharePoint Online ? Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Helper V
Helper V

Hi All,

Any advice/suggestions on this would be helpful. Thanks.

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kumar9024021 ,

Of course, PowerApps is a convenient solution for its few-code property, but it still have powerful functionality. PowerApps has lots of controls and formulas, the rich control properties with rich functions can help you achieve what you want.

To three kind of users, we can set condition formula(If function) to judge the kind of current user, and navigate to different content for different users.

To display users' VP, PowerApps has Office365 connector and can easily get users' Manager. 

For more information, please check this article: Customize a SharePoint list form by using PowerApps  

You can go to try and feel free to post back, if you meet any issue. I also recommend  Shane Young‘s video (Custom SharePoint List Form with PowerApps ) to help you learn how to build a custom SharePoint List Form with PowerApps.

Best regards,

Sik

Hi,

Thanks for your timely response.

I also have auto-complete feature in my requirement. I have a textbox Event Name in SharePoint online list. I want the text box to have auto-complete feature enabled.

In case of a match, text box should auto-suggest the previous value entered in the SharePoint list, when I type in few characters.

I explored and found that PowerApps doesnt have this feature. Workaround is to have combobox, but combobox cannot key-in value, whereas in case of textbox we can key-in value.

Hi @Kumar9024021 ,

To auto-complete feature by textbox:

It can be realized by using textbox as search box and a Gallery. When entering text, the gallery below textbox will display all matched records, and the visible property of the gallery can be set so that it can be displayed only when entering in textbox.

Please see the demo below, And you can find it form the PowerApps templates "Help Desk",EditTicketScreen.

Snipaste_2019-11-06_16-11-42.png

Best regards,

Sik

@v-siky-msft,

I tried adding a dropdown and a textinput. However, I should not show the dropdown in the UI. When user type-in in the textbox , it should just suggest option and also allow the user to key-in value in textbox and save.

Could you please help me with any advice

pic1.PNG

Hi @Kumar9024021 ,

I made a custom search box demo with auto-complete feature as my above post said, you can download it to try it.

Best regards,

Sik

Hi @v-siky-msft ,

Thanks a lot for your response. I tried downloading & import the package in my powerapp, however couldn't do it. It throws below error. Could you please help me.

Import.PNG

Hi @Kumar9024021 ,

No need to import the package. Open the msapp file directly in PowerApps Studio.

Snipaste_2019-11-25_13-50-37.png

Best regards,

Sik

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (32,298)