cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillYoung-arm
Helper III
Helper III

Detect Browser

Has anyone created a method of detecting the browser that the user is running their canvas app in?

There doesn't appear to be any in-built method but I'm assuming that this is achievable via Javascript in a Component.
I'm trying to avoid wheel reinvention

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @BillYoung-arm 

Apologies about that. Could you try that link again - I think my site might have been down.

The "Respond to PowerApps action" isn't premium (unlike the response action), so it should in theory work without premium licensing.

timl_0-1623764652773.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @BillYoung-arm 

One way to determine the browser is to create a Power Automate flow. From the flow, you can retrieve the user agent string from the HTTP header and use that to determine the client browser.

I have a post here that describes this technique in more detail.

http://powerappsguide.com/blog/post/detect-web-browser

BillYoung-arm
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for the speedy reply Tim
For that link I get: The page doesn't exist

Having to run a premium connector each time to get each user's user agent string looks to be a limiting problem, though.
Cheers

Bill 

timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @BillYoung-arm 

Apologies about that. Could you try that link again - I think my site might have been down.

The "Respond to PowerApps action" isn't premium (unlike the response action), so it should in theory work without premium licensing.

timl_0-1623764652773.png

That's brilliant Tim
The trick is:
When we call a Flow from Power Apps, Power Apps triggers the flow through a web request. Like every web request, this includes a HTTP header and body. The trigger body effectively returns the HTTP body of the call from Power Apps.
...as per your post:
http://powerappsguide.com/blog/post/retrieve-session-id-from-within-app-flow-workaround

I've learned something new

Thank you for the enlightenment, Tim. Have a great day

You're welcome Bill - glad that helped! Have a great day too 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,676)