Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Device Based Application Run

Hello Everyone, @WarrenBelz  ,@v-siky-msft , @Pstork1 

I don't know if this is a question to be asked or not, but I have an application of two Versions

1) Mobile

2) Tablet

Two Apps.jpg

If the user, is using the Mobile Device the AppTimeSheet  Application (Should Run which is created for Mobile)

and if the user is using the Tablet Device the TimeSheet App (Tablet)  Application (Should Run which is Created in Landscape for Tablet users).

is there any way to do this, or they have to download the app  from PowerApp Store according to their device?

Please Guide

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Device Based Application Run

Here's a game I use for demo purposes when working with responsive design.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @MH3 ,

We run the same app on phones, tablets and PCs.

I always to a Landscape version as all the phone has to do is turn sideways. 

Is this what you are asking?

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

No No @WarrenBelz 

Actually you might not got my point of question.

my client said, create the app in two versions  One for mobile users and one for Tablet users.

because they have some users, with tablets assigned to them so they can also use that application accordingly. So, what I did is I created an another application with the orientation changed to landscape mode (Tablet mode).

Now, my client said the users who have mobile device, the Mobile Orientated Application should run onto their devices and those who have tablets the Tablet Orientated Application should run.

as I have named both the apps differently you can see in the ScreenShot in my first post.

AnyHelp

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

It won't run an app automatically based on the type of project.  You can run apps created for tablets on a Phone and you can run phone apps on a PC.  Its up to the user to choose the appropriate app to run.

An alternative would be to write a single app that adapts to the device its running on using Responsive Design.  That way when you run the app on a mobile device like a phone it would adapt to the smaller screen space, but when running it on a desktop or tablet it would expand to use the whole screen.  You can read about responsive design apps here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/create-responsive-layout

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @Pstork1 

Good to see you.

Yes, you are saying correct but your solution make a big workaround to set the dynamic layout of the application, I saw the link it describes how to set the dynamic layout but that's making my work a lot because there are many things to work with under my app.

is there any easy way ? or the user should download the appropriate application from the store as I mentioned App TimeSheet (for Mobile) and TimeSheet App (Tablet) for Tablet users?

will that work?  

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I agree that building a single responsive design app is a good bit of extra work.  The easiest solution, as you said, is to clearly differentiate the destination platform for the app and have user's manually select which one to use.  Just remember, that building and maintaining two completely separate apps is also a lot of work.  There is no easy fix.

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Yes @Pstork1 

I am agreed with you.

can you provide me a demo application which has some dynamic layout formulas.

so that I can handle those with my one single application?

I just have to understand how does that work, because from that link I am confused a little.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@MH3 ,

I will leave you with @Pstork1 if he has one of these.

This document sets out the process, but it is a quite complex exercise and I have never bothered attempting it for the reasons I mentioned.

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Here's a game I use for demo purposes when working with responsive design.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,057)